What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best External Speakers for iPad?

dstuttgen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the Bose Companion 3 for my desk and run it to my laptop. It is A.C. powered and connects to the laptop via usb. It sounds wonderful. Now my question is this; can I connect the speakers to my iPad 2 via the usb camera connection adapter as the unit itself is "powered"? Is there any risk of burning out my iPad?

Cheers, Dan

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Bose Companion 3 for my desk and run it to my laptop. It is A.C. powered and connects to the laptop via usb. It sounds wonderful. Now my question is this; can I connect the speakers to my iPad 2 via the usb camera connection adapter as the unit itself is "powered"? Is there any risk of burning out my iPad?

Cheers, Dan

What you're trying to do is to send audio from the iPad to external speakers. The CCK is designed to work in the opposite direction. And even if you could overcome this fundamental problem, you would have to have drivers for the speakers. In other words, no risk of burning out your iPad because it wouldn't work, anyway. Sorry.

dstuttgen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What you're trying to do is to send audio from the iPad to external speakers. The CCK is designed to work in the opposite direction. And even if you could overcome this fundamental problem, you would have to have drivers for the speakers. In other words, no risk of burning out your iPad because it wouldn't work, anyway. Sorry.

So it is only a mono-directional connection. Nutz. Oh well,it was a thought. Too bad there wasn't an usb to audio(earplug size)adapter.

Cheers, Dan

On a side note though; The Bose Companion doesn't have drivers. It was a true plug and play set-up.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Right but what I am asking is that if there is anything inherent in the way that the audio is transmitted over bluetooth that would degrade its quality. I mean if we have a given set of speakers, if we plug them in to a bluetooth audio module will they sound worse listening to music from the ipad vs. if we plug that same set of speakers directly into the iPad's headphone jack?

Based upon my understanding the answer is yes. When music is sent out over BT it is compressed first, as BT is a narrow band protocol. Now, I don't know what the real world implication is for this...it could be minor. I only use BT speaker for my audiobooks. I have real speakers on a real music system to use for music (not saying I don't use earbuds with mobile devices, just that I have little need or desire to use my BT speaker for music). :)

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use a Bluetooth Logitech speaker adapter PN 980-000540. It works with existing speakers. Also you could use it to drive the input of a PC soundcard, which is how I use it. I got it for about $40 at Radio Shack. I didn't want to buy Bluetooth speakers because I already had speakers I wanted, in this case Bose companions.

Last edited:

iDuffer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can recommend the Apple Airport Express connected to your Hi-Fi.
This is a wireless option(Airplay), with great sound quality, assuming you have decent Hi-Fi.

The airport express has a 3.5mm audio out. The socket also doubles as a digital output, so you can connect to an external DAC if you want to. It's not cheap ($99 / £99), however it's also a decent dual-band 802.11n wireless router, that can extend the range of your wireless network etc.

Last edited:

Chantelle310

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the Logitech z506 and have the Logitech wireless adapter hooked up too. Works a dream and wirelessly.

Sent from my White iPad 3rd Gen. 32gb using Tapatalk

Chantelle310

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the full set of speakers and the adapter for £65 brand new and delivered.

Sent from my White iPad 3rd Gen. 32gb using Tapatalk

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
has anyone tried one of those clip on "sound enhancers?"

I have a cheap rubber one that goes over iPhone, and it makes things louder, but the sound is crap. So it might be serviceable for a phone call, but not music, for instance. I think it cost two bucks on Amazon.

I have also ordered (via Kickstarter) a clip-on that's still in production. I expect it will work, because I tried slipping a sliced plastic gift card in the gap between my iPad speaker and iPad case, and it's slightly but noticeably louder. Same principle.

I'm not expecting a miraculous louder sound from a bit of plastic (that's why I have Bluetooth speakers, earbuds and headphones), but the clip-on should serve when I need only a slight sound boost and don't want to bother with speakers, earbuds or headphones.

Most reactions

Latest posts