What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBC iPLayer

jnr1963

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi , I just wondered if anybody else is having problems with using iplayer on their iPad . App loads ok and on the face of it looks great , however when I go to watch an item it either comes up , failed to load or if it does only run for a short time. 4OD runs fine and most other such on line videos as well as BBC News.
Am I missing anything or is this a fault with the APP. I have to say when you go to the BBC iPlayer web site and play a item that way , it does play but take an age to work.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problems here with iPlayer app.

Have you tried rebooting your iPad (press and hold both the on and home buttons until the apple logo appears) and rebooting your router......it's been known to work!

The Archangel

OP
jnr1963

jnr1963

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes just done that with no result, as I say the app 4OD plays ok as do BBC news etc. I get as far as selecting the item I want to watch , but all I get when I do is the little circle of lights ( for want of a description) showing that it's loading.I then get failed to load try later. :((

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very strange, it plays flawlessly on mine. I've just had a look to see if there are any settings which could cause the problem but I can't find any......it's got me stumped, I have no idea what the issue could be, hopefully someone else can assist.

The Archangel

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
I have the exact same problem and others have reported it too, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a fix at present. Workaround is to use the website instead.

OP
jnr1963

jnr1963

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks anyway, I have seen elsewhere that people have had similar problems. Nothing was said how or if they resolved the issue , it's not a great problem as I can see inlay on my iMac if I need too. Just seems to be an issue with the network rather than the iPad . Anyway have a good week end and thanks for your time.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There must be a common theme for this to be happening........FWIW I have:

iPad 1
iOS 4.3.2
IPlayer version 1 (I don't think there has been an update )

The Archangel

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
domasomajutt said:
I live in Belgium and i really want to get bbc iplayer, but the bbc website always says "not available in your area"

They only have a license to use in the UK I'm afraid, there may be a workaround but im not aware of it.

The Archangel

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Gabriel1 said:
There must be a common theme for this to be happening........FWIW I have:

iPad 1
iOS 4.3.2
IPlayer version 1 (I don't think there has been an update )

The Archangel

Same for me but doesn't work, however using safari on iPad the website BBC.co.uk/iplayer does work, so I can't see it being a network/router issue.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DefBref said:
Same for me but doesn't work, however using safari on iPad the website BBC.co.uk/iplayer does work, so I can't see it being a network/router issue.

I'm no technical boffin when it comes to this but is it possible that the website and the app require different bandwidth, if it does then it could be a router/network issue, otherwise it doesn't make any sense?

The Archangel

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Tried delete and reinstall no dice. Also AFAIK the app is just a front end to the same content as the website, I would be surprised if it required different bandwidth or network settings but it's a possibility I suppose.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DefBref said:
Tried delete and reinstall no dice. Also AFAIK the app is just a front end to the same content as the website, I would be surprised if it required different bandwidth or network settings but it's a possibility I suppose.

I didn't think it was just a front end as I seem to recall that it doesn't have all the content of the web based iPlayer. There is clearly something different if I can use both but you can only use the web based version, if out set ups are the same then I can only think that it can be the connection......had a similar issue with another app when I first came to this forum, a guy couldn't stream through a particular app but I could, he was convinced it couldn't be the router because everything else worked ok but eventually we narrowed it down and it became apparent the router was the issue.....I think he changed his router and then everything worked. This may not be the case here but I am running out of ideas as to what else can be the difference between us except for the router?

The Archangel

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
I sort of agree, but the weird thing is it used to work when I first installed it, and I don't think anythings changed in my network setup. Will try investigating a bit more.

Most reactions