What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery in IOS 4.2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazyquilt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had noticed, since upgrading to 4.2.1 that battery usage has seemed to be not quite as unbelievable as once it was. I haven't taken any tricorder readings, but I'm quite confident of my own observations. I would estimate probably a 20-25% difference; large enough to be annoying, but not enough to be a serious issue at my current usage pattern.

As a result, I did a Google search for iPad battery issues and found this thread. I've been a member since nearly launch, but rarely come through unless I want to know something specific, as now. Thus my "drive-by posting."

Many thanks to Col.Bris for reminding me about the brightness setting, and for suggesting I check Mail's push. I lowered the former and shut off the latter -- which I don't recall turning on, mind you. Hopefully this will resolve my problem. I do recall bumping up the brightness, so I would suspect that to be the culprit...add in Push, and that may well explain it all. I have never used "Find my iPad."

Finally, kudos to Superbike81, for making this community one I'll continue to avoid.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To help dispell some myths:

• I am using Find my IPad.
  • I have over a dozen programs on the task switcher. Probably all been there since Friday.
  • I am using push notification for email and several other Apps. Just as I was before 4.2.1.
I have not charged since Friday night, with several hours usage per day I am still at 80% battery charge late Sunday night. This includes games, videos and lots of browsing.

I suspect that some background process may be causing problems for some folks here. Many Apps, like music Apps, do run in the background.

It would probably be more effective if people listed the Apps they are using to see if there is a common issue. I can say from personal experience that the new Find my IPad feature is not having any noticeable change in my battery life.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For those of you who are new to forums, here's some insight into the way things work....

When a moderator makes suggestion like I did in Post #39 where I reminded people not to make things personal, its not really a suggestion!

The next post in this thread that even remotely appears to be personal, this thread will be closed and infractions will be given.

FatalDesain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys I am also getting rapid battery drain close to about 5 hours of life and I leave it on the charger and it takes forever to charge. It took me 8 hours to charge to 100 percent. Something is wrong

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It took me 8 hours to charge to 100 percent. Something is wrong

This must be a new issue ~ I have read it like four times just this morning.

FatalDesain, as SuperBike81 already asked are you using the original iPad charger/cable?

If so, can you give us a list of the Apps you have on the Task switcher: Double click the Home button and list the apps at the bottom of the screen. Remember to scroll to the left to see apps that may not be on the first screen.

Also, did you check that your screen brightness did not get changed by the 4.2.1 upgrade?

Really curios why this is happening to some people.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To help dispell some myths:

• I am using Find my IPad.
  • I have over a dozen programs on the task switcher. Probably all been there since Friday.
  • I am using push notification for email and several other Apps. Just as I was before 4.2.1.
I have not charged since Friday night, with several hours usage per day I am still at 80% battery charge late Sunday night. This includes games, videos and lots of browsing.

I suspect that some background process may be causing problems for some folks here. Many Apps, like music Apps, do run in the background.

It would probably be more effective if people listed the Apps they are using to see if there is a common issue. I can say from personal experience that the new Find my IPad feature is not having any noticeable change in my battery life.

As an FYI some of us have always had Find My iPad on... I am a MobileMe subscriber and have always had it active. I have seen no change in battery life after 4.2.1.

What I have seen, are threads like these after every single firmware update... for just about any device out there that runs on batteries. I have owned an iPhone since the start... probably have seen a dozen updates through the years--now on iPhone 4. Every time there was an update there were threads like this. Now surely if it was really happening we would have like 10 minutes of battery life by now :).

I think it is more likely that a few people have genuine issues which are likely not related to a glitch per say in the update, some are unwittingly using the device more so after a new update, and others just plain assume it must be so without really doing tests before and after or undertanding that other variables may have changed too (e.g., brightness etc.). That slick new 3D game might run awesomely on the iPad... but probably is a CPU intensive drag on the battery too.

Michael

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Update on battery life: Again a boring day at work. I'm now on like 14 hours of not constant, but heavy use with e-mails, VNC, web browsing and PDF reading . Still 36% remaining. iOS 4.2.1

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NumbLock, your iPad is definitely defective! There is no way you should be getting that much life out of one charge! You should immediately go to the nearest Apple store and exchange it for another one. There are two stores in Zurich and one in Geneva. You pick!

kravdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NumbLock, your iPad is definitely defective! There is no way you should be getting that much life out of one charge! You should immediately go to the nearest Apple store and exchange it for another one. There are two stores in Zurich and one in Geneva. You pick!

No need to take it back, you should just swap with mine, now that I am back to my normal 10 hrs... All I did was a hard reset... Bizarre, but real :)

Glad to be back to the day of use battery life I've come to expect!

BBSean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems that whatever problem someone posts on this site, it cant ever be the ipad. The op gets attacked and told they are wrong.
Too bad instead of defending the product, more people dont try to understand and help.

To the op and others posting here, my ipad wouldn't charge at all after the update (see my post seeking help that got absolutely no responses)

Those that ARE having a problem ( or that aren't in denial) try this test, it worked for me. Shut OFF the locate option in the mail settings under mobile me and turn down your brightness to a reasonable level.

I also frequently close all of the programs that are on standby in the double click menu.

Since shutting off the mobile me locate switch, my ipad is now charging again.

Yes there is something very different since the upgrade, you aren't crazy as many followers would have you believe here.

Sean

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems that whatever problem someone posts on this site, it cant ever be the ipad. The op gets attacked and told they are wrong.

Sean. I am sorry you are not having a positive experience here. I don't think the OP get attacked, there are just some very passionate posters with very strong opinions.

Sometimes we must just let things slide. Not everything can be fixed and we just must endure.

bad instead of defending the product, more people dont try to understand and help.
(see my post seeking help that got absolutely no responses)

I am sorry no one responded to your post for help. I saw that ~ it was on the 25th. You have to understand a little, that this site is huge. There can be 4,000 people on here at any given time. I am sure yours was just over looked.

Marie ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts