What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Batteries-how long to charge

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A friend has told me something I have never heard before. He claims one should only charge a battery in a cell phone, iPad, iPod etc until it reaches the fully charged state & then its important to pull the plug immediately upon reaching that point.

I have always plugged in my cell phones, iPod, and now iPad to charge when I go to bed and unplug them in the morning or whenever I need them. So they can sit at fully charged and plugged in for a long time.

I've never heard about unplugging as soon as full charge is reached. Whose got the time and presence of mind to keep checking one's devices? Tell me my friend is out-to-lunch, crazy, or stupid. He's sorta a know-it-all and I'd like to prove him wrong on this one.

Thanks.
CM

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IPad, iPhone and iPods have smart charging ability. This means that you don't have to watch the charging process at all!

Nevertheless Apple recommends to charge the device at 100% the first time, discharge it until it shuts down (so the battery "learns" the two stati) and then charge it back to 100%.

Typically an iPad needs about 6h to recharge.

OP
CMFox

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IPad, iPhone and iPods have smart charging ability. This means that you don't have to watch the charging process at all!

Nevertheless Apple recommends to charge the device at 100% the first time, discharge it until it shuts down (so the battery "learns" the two stati) and then charge it back to 100%.

Typically an iPad needs about 6h to recharge.

Damn...now I've exchanged one worry for another. Apple said this? Missed it. Now that I've had, played, charged, discharged my iPad for a week should I still do this or is .... too late?

Thanks.
CM

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How in hell does your friend determine the exact and precise point when his device batteries reach 100% charge?

OP
CMFox

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How in hell does your friend determine the exact and precise point when his device batteries reach 100% charge?

He's an anal retentive phool and has them lined up on his desk so he can check them constantly.

Fortunately he has other attributes that make him likable. :p

CM

Most reactions

Latest posts