What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bar code app

timtruro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I downloaded a bar code app, now how does it work? Do I just place it over a bar code?? Help...

mr_president

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The QR scanner will give you more information and sometimes sales on items. Hold it over e QR until it lines up and it should automatically download the information to your device.

Sent from Mr_President's iPad using iPF. 32GB 3g

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
All the ones I've tried scan just fine, even the ones for the iPhone; how much info I get back varies drastically from app to app and product to product.

Usually there is a button that says scan (or you take a picture). Tap the button and point the camera at the bar code. Good light and a steady hand a big help.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
^What he said.

I use Red Laser. It's pretty good and simple to use. Free, too, with versions for iPad and iPhone.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried loads of QR readers too. None of them ever work.

I've been using QRReader and RedLaser, and they work fine. For bar codes, I've been using Amazon's PriceCheck and have started using Flow a bit. Haven't encountered any problems, and I just stumbled upon the apps or read about them. I wonder whether your being in the UK is the problem? Seems like it shouldn't be, but who knows.

Expidia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've used several and most are a pain to try and hold still while you snap the picture and then blur it as you push the button.

Try this popular app: "Shop Savvy" free in the app store for iphone and I also have it on my Droid.
This one has a red line that you line up and when it comes into focus it automatically snaps the pic.
It also does QR codes (those square little matrix maps) I just used it during lunch as I snapped one in the USA Today and it pulled up all there articles in that days paper . . . cool! Oh ya, as another poster has said, snap the pic in good light.

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
another vote for shop savvy - in my experiance this one will work when others fail. its fast too!

OP
timtruro

timtruro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Used this info and got shop savvy, works great, thanks to all.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've used several and most are a pain to try and hold still while you snap the picture and then blur it as you push the button.

Try this popular app: "Shop Savvy" free in the app store for iphone and I also have it on my Droid.
This one has a red line that you line up and when it comes into focus it automatically snaps the pic.
It also does QR codes (those square little matrix maps) I just used it during lunch as I snapped one in the USA Today and it pulled up all there articles in that days paper . . . cool! Oh ya, as another poster has said, snap the pic in good light.

Which are you using that require a photo? I haven't used mine in a while, but all they require the user to do is hold product and phone steady and they auto-capture once lined up. I usually just lean a product on a shelf or counter and line up my phone. Works fine. No button-pushing required.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Google Goggles (part of the Google Search app) snaps a picture. If you wait for it to focus, it does it on it's own. Or you can force it by tapping the camera icon. That's the only app that I know of that takes a picture then scans. Of course it does far more than just bar codes. It will also try to match with online images, with varying degrees of success.

I'm not fond of it's product lookup results. They are just the usual Google choices, but if you like Google Shopper you can narrow down to those results:

However the Google Shopper app will get you there faster. It doesn't take stills, but seems to scan faster than Goggles, at least in my experience. And the UI is pretty nice.

I also have ShopSavvy. It doesn't take stills either. I do like the interface, and usually the results. They are getting a bit pushy about getting an account, but it's ignorable if you don't' want the extra list tracking features.

Coppertime

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Barcode scanner can read the symbol on product. However, if it can not achieve this, it may cause by the reader's poor quality.

Most reactions

Latest posts