What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad YouTube video quality!!!

EARL97850

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I searched the topic to no avail...so go easy on me if I missed the already discussed topic.

While watching YouTube videos through the app on the iPad I noticed that the quality is not even close to "HD". What gives? I thought that the quality would be better than I'm getting.

Ant help would be appreciated.

Cya

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are you watching yotube via 3G or wifi? When I watch via 3G, I do notice alot of pixelation.

chevyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My son's IPad 2 Youtube video quality is very very good on my WiFi network at home. I was actually impressed by how well they looked!

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I searched the topic to no avail...so go easy on me if I missed the already discussed topic.

While watching YouTube videos through the app on the iPad I noticed that the quality is not even close to "HD". What gives? I thought that the quality would be better than I'm getting.

Cya

Don't keep them to yourself, Earl. Give us a title or link to one you're not happy with and we can see if it's bad for us too, or not.

Shortbread

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it's through 3G it's likely your provider is compressing the data. Mobile operators HATE YouTube due to it's potential to use massive amounts of data effortlessly.

OP
E

EARL97850

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok...I checked the videos again today using wifi and the quality is much better. I myself wouldn't think that wifi would give you a better quality video.

The router I have at home is provided by the service provider and I know it is not that good or fast. I'm going to have to look into getting a better router.

Thanks again for the help!!!

Cya

OP
E

EARL97850

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Cya

Don't keep them to yourself, Earl. Give us a title or link to one you're not happy with and we can see if it's bad for us too, or not.

I was checking out some saltwater aquariums since I'm thinking about getting into that again, so it was just random videos but the quality just plain SUCKED!!
I'm not home right now so I checked out some of those same videos again on wifi and the quality is a whole lot better.

I gotta get me a better router.

Cya

Mystro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wifi is always better than 3G. It always will be.

WIFI ='s quality...3G ='s convenience.

Reaction score
In general YouTube will always have a higher quality over Wifi then with 3G, because the youtube app automatically chooses a lower resolution when using 3G. It doesn't even matter, how fast or slow 3G is, the quality is always reduced. This is always true, unless the iPad is jailbroken and an app such as My3G is used, which simulates apps that it is connected to a wifi network, while it is actually using 3G.

Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
So this apps tricks the network to make it think it is using wifi, but really 3G? And it would be free? The 3G, not the app.;)

Yes and no. My3G tricks the apps installed on the iPad into thinking that they are using Wifi. But it doesn't mean free internet, you still have to pay for the 3g connection. The apps purpose is to simulate a wifi connection, because not all apps work over 3g (Facetime only works over wifi) and other apps reduce the quality (Youtube only streams high quality videos via wifi).

Most reactions