What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will retina screen mean YouTube videos will look better?

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Or, will it depend on the source of the video itself. For example, I have noticed the quality of videos vary considerably on YouTube. Some look very standard definition while a few can look close to HD. Will the retina display automatically improve the quality of all YouTube videos?

Also, will my movie and TV content from my existing iTunes library improve in picture quality?

sunking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Video from sources like YouTube that look poor today are still going to look poor on the iPad3. It is the source material that is the problem, not your display.

Watching poor quality video via the Retina display will sort of be the "lipstick on the bulldog" effect.

OP
I

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So what kind of video will take advantage of the increased resolution of the new iPad. Most films in HD is produced at 1080 which iPad 2 can display.

jhood2323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sunking said:
Video from sources like YouTube that look poor today are still going to look poor on the iPad3. It is the source material that is the problem, not your display.

Watching poor quality video via the Retina display will sort of be the "lipstick on the bulldog" effect.

Blahhhh I died at this

Airtent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you frequently rent or buy movies/tv shows on itunes, they will benefit from the higher ipad resolution as apple is upping the res on said vids if they haven't already.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Here is where the issues comes to play.

Yes things will look much better on the new iPad, however if you are watching video the encoding being used will impact the quality. If you have a low quality highly compressed video, all of those artifacts that would show up before are still going to be visible on the iPad display.

Think of the display like this. You know those signs they put up on the highway that say things like road work ahead, or Exit Closed. Those signs have a bunch of really big dots that light up to make readable words. Those dots are so huge that you can clearly see them.
This would be like comparing one of those horrible signs that display text to one of those new high tech billboards that look like a movie screen and can do all sorts of things like pictures and not just text.

Freeway-Sign-Hire_170866_image.JPGamerican_idol_billboard.jpg
On the electronic Billboard there are many more pixels packed in close together just like the new iPad. This makes it so that you cannot see the little dots as well as you can on the other sign because they are packed in so tight and there are so many more of them. If you had to pick between these two signs what one would you want? I know I would rather have the one that can display ads like that one showing american idol.

(PS. Yes I know the iPad 2 and iPad 3rd generation may not be this dramatic of a comparison but this is the same idea of what is happening. We won't know how much better it will look until we get our hands on one.)

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Since the iPad 2 screen can not display a 1080p movie at full resolution (they play at a slightly reduced resolution), the new iPad is going to improve by that extent at least. You'll see less improvement for any movie under that resolution; but the new more powerful graphics process 'may' improve things a bit too.

Whether any of this will result in enough subjective improvement to be worth upgrading (just for movies) is gong to be an individual call.

Movies are a very minor part of what I do with my iPad. I'm upgrading (when I can get the money together) but for other reasons. The retina display is just a nice bonus.

Most reactions

Latest posts