What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backing up Dropbox contents

fuzzychicken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I use Dropbox a ton for my work purpose. My files are about a GB and majority of the files are just pdf, maximum file size about 10mb. Honestly, this is my bread and butter and can not afford to lose any of these files. Majority of the times, I work on tablet (android or iPad)

I wonder if anyone is aware of any app for iOS (or otherwise) where I can regularly backup my data to another cloud service.

Many thanks in advance

Note - I took a look at service called as mybackupbox.com but for some reason I decided that I do not want to go that route.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I back up my Dropbox by simply setting it up on several PCs. Dropbox automatically shares everything you have to laptops and PC hard drives, so the backup is automatic. Only when using a mobile device with limited storage do you have to worry about syncing. You can then worry about the separate devices for back up but if you have several you are better off anyhow.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Everything in my Dropbox goes to my iMac, which I clone to an external drive every few days. I have copies out the wazoo, without even thinking about it.

Like you, I would not trust my important data to someone else's server. You might also wish to check out Polkast, which turns your desktop computer into cloud storage, among other things.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

OP
F

fuzzychicken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the ideas.

My data is important but frankly, even if it gets stolen, nobody will earn a dime out of it. Hence, I don't care where it sits, as long as it is available as and when I need (in case of Dropbox failure or accidental deletion or something). I too have Dropbox set up on 2 different laptops, still I need somewhere off my place.

NAS is a good idea and I have thought about it but I am not at all geeky and whatever geeky stuff I know, networking is the worst area. I am considering a router with USB port though so that it can be used as NAS (still I don't know how I could back up Dropbox there). Honestly, I just want ready system, something like, 'Does what it says on the can' style.

I have 50GB of Box.net space but their sync app is so pathetic that I feel like it doesn't do any job. I never managed to use it successfully (or may be I am just a retard.)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is possible to set up sync between GoodReader and DropBox folders. Or you could manually download the important folders on a schedule (easily set up in Calendars).

Though the best solution, if you have a computer, is to install the DropBox app on it(so that you have local files synced) and then make sure you regularly backup the computer to an external HD.

That's what I do.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If your really want backup, it needs to be in more than one location. A home PC, a work PC, etc. a NAS at home and a laptop could both let you down in the event of a serious problem, like a house fire.

Most reactions

Latest posts