What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Set up of GoodReader, DocAS, Zen Viewer, etc

dbryant11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I posted a question earlier about Zen Viewer, but after an exhaustive weekend with google, I now think its generic to all 3rd party File viewer/manager apps. I'm seeing a trend, and simply think I'm missing something simple. I'm assuming most folks who use a program such as those listed above are more "power" users, who have had an iPad for a bit, and were looking for more than stock performance and/or capabilities. That's where I'm stuck. All of these apps "appear to me" to be great file managers for "new/fresh" installations, where all your files are currently on your PC/Mac, but not on your iPad yet. Hence the "add files via: itunes, wifi, web, dropbox, etc." None of these appear to help at all, for the hundreds and hundreds of files I already HAVE on my ipad, which lead me to search for a better way to manage them in the first place. (as an aside, and preemptive response to dropbox, and the cloud, etc, I have 64G of space on my iPad, which is WAY more storage than I'll ever need, and since each new file won't weigh any more :) I'm perfectly fine loading the puppy up!) Brief history, then I'll shut up and read your replies. I'm good with Albums in photos, good with grouping SS's in Numbers, and even good with Collections in iBooks. Each of these can be renamed, and allow for basic grouping/management. I'm just now getting to the point where that next level would be awesome. A file/notebook/folder, whatever, called Customers, with a sub folder called Smith, and another called Jones, where IN that Smith folder, is the Smith SS, the Smith Photos, and the Smith Docs and pdf's, etc. I'm even perfectly ok with the Smith SS opening in Numbers, and the Smith Docs opening in iBooks. I would just like a better way to group them together. I've downloaded several this weekend, some free, some paid unfortunately, and none so far help with existing files. So, again, assuming most of you users had existing files on your iPad prior to purchasing some of these apps, what am I missing? I haven't tried GoodReader yet, ($$) but will in a heartbeat if someone tells me how to get all my current files in there. Lastly, while I "could" painstakinly go through my PC's Hard drive, and try and find each doc again, and act as if my ipad is blank, some of the files were sent via email, or are media not even ON my PC if I wanted to. (Also, sub folders is a must.) Thanks for reading, and I LOVE my iPad!!!!

OP
D

dbryant11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure if this is necessarily an iWorks issue, but that's where a moderator sent it. If anyone can think of where else this question should be asked, please advise. Thanks!

Most reactions

Latest posts