What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Back up camera roll

vdonatiello

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I am new at iPad, I've got iPad2, iOS 5.0.1
On my iPad I have some pictures, some I took with the iPad camera and some I copy and paste from Internet or other apps for example ...
I see they are all together within "camera roll"
I did back up few times through iTunes my iPad into my pc ...
But I can not see the pics in my pc, while I have sync a pc folder and the pc pics are not on the iPad ...
Can anyone tell which setting I need to adjust?
Can I transfer all the pics to pc or only the one I took from iPad camera and I can not back up the others (that is what I was told by a Apple Store shop assistant)
Many thanks indeed

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The syncing in iTunes is a one way sync. It makes a duplicate of what is on the computer (depending on what you select) to albums on the iPad. All syncing, moving, copying, and deleting have to be done on the computer.

When the iPad is plugged into your PC it will mount as a USB Drive. Find the drive on your PC, go to the DCIM folder. All the pictures in your Camera Roll will be there. Copy them to the computer. Just like Camera SD cards, you probably should not delete the photos on the computer when done. Do it from the iPad.

If you are using a Mac, the Image Capture app that comes with the Mac will do the same, or iPhotos, or Aperture.

There are apps and methods, but this is quick and easy.

OP
V

vdonatiello

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for your reply ... and i am take advantages of your knowledge ...

i understand sync is one way, duplicate what is in the pc to iPad ...

let me try to make an example ... for instance i have 4 songs in my pc and after sync i have the same 4 songs on my iPad ... now if i cancel one song from my iPad and i sync it will not cancel from pc as well ... as oppose as if i cancel a song on the pc, and now i have only 3 songs, next time i sync it will be canceled from iPad as well, is that right?

you also say "depending on what you select", i suppose you mean the little tick on the left side of the name of the song, once again for instance i have the sync'ed 4 songs, both on the pc and the iPad ... once i un-select one song, next time sync it will disappear from my iPad, is that right?

many thanks

Vito

OP
V

vdonatiello

iPF Noob
Reaction score
depending on what you select

i am afraid i dint explain myself well ... i also have tried to un-select on the pc but no changes on the iPad ... then i noticed there is a box on the left of the song name on the iPad as well ...

now i am confused, what such selection is referring to ... both must be ticked to be sync?

thanks, Vito

OP
V

vdonatiello

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PC_Library_Books_11items.jpg iPad_Books_9items.jpg

sorry to abuse of your help ...
still dont understand ... i have 11 files on my PC, select them all, sync with iPad and still have 9 file on the iPad ...
where is the mistake, why i can not sync them all ???
many thanks, Vito

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, you switch talking about Photos to talking about music. That's the biggest part of the confusion.

The second is that you're trying to control files directly on the iPad. What you see when you expand the iPad under the Device lists read only (for the most part), though sometimes it is possible to drag content directly there. I depends on content type and other settings. I almost never do this, so I can't give you an accurate description of how it works.

At any rate, your sync settings are done elsewhere.

Select the main device (not a subdirectory) and you will see a series of tabs at the top of the main view. Each type of media is controlled using settings on the corresponding tab. Experiment. You'll figure it out.

iTunesSync.jpg

Here is a good link for exploring what iTunes can do, and how.

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/

OP
V

vdonatiello

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That means photos, mp3 and PDF all have different rules under iTunes
For instance I see that if I add a mp3 on the pc iTunes media folder easy goes to iPad ...
If I try to brink a PDF from my pc to iPad still haven't figured out the way ...
However if I put the PDF under the "book" on my pc iTunes and then sync it will go into iBook into the iPad ...
Thanks indeed
Vito

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

iTunes will only sync PDFs as ebooks for iBooks. If you need to do something else with a PDF there are lots of apps to chose from; the methods of import vary, and will usually be listed in the app's description.

Most reactions

Latest posts