What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Availability - or sellout on first day

Zmanga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad 2 will be my first Apple product purchase. I understand they will only be sold in the Apple stores at first (vs. BestBuy or Walmart).

My question is... When Apple releases a new product are they sold out on day one or is it reasonable to expect that stores will have ample supplies in different configurations. I'm looking for BLACK and in the 16 gb which is probably the lowest priced and best selling unit.

I plan to go to the store on the first day, but won't get there until afternoon -
likely to be sold out by then or not a problem?

Someone who knows how these deals work please advise.
I'm in the Atlanta area if it makes a differenece and I think there are at least 3 Apple Stores here.

Thanks

Last edited:

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure how they're approaching the selling part, but if you can order online I'd go for it that way...The LINES SUCK!!!! I waited in line for the iPhone 4 and it was a huge painful ordeal...My niece on the other hand ordered on line and got hers shipped out the day before...But if you like people watching, the line is the place to be...LOL

ajneuman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They allowed people to pre-order the iPhone 4 but they won't for the iPad 2 so, if you want to get it on launch day you'll need to go to the store.

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My guest would be march/april 2012.

Regardless, I'm getting some popcorn and soda and sitting back to watch this show. When's the Ipad 3 coming out?

gifty74

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm wondering the same thing. Hoping to get some replies from people who have done it in the past (ie. Iphone 4 AT&T release). The Iphone 4 was available by pre-order online, but they also had a release in the Apple stores. I assume those lines would be a bit longer than the Ipad 2 lines. I'm just trying to judge how early to get there on 3/11. They say they'll be available at 5pm. Our Apple store is in a mall, so you can't get there before the mall opens, but will people be waiting in line outside the mall when it opens? Do you think it will be that popular? I can't imagine, but a line at noon seems likely. But I have no idea, never been to an Apple in-store release.

gifty74

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And contrary to rumors (even as late as yesterday morning) the Ipad 3 will obviously not be out this year. Saw multiple articles of some "Apple employee" that said the Ipad 3 is really the one to wait for. But, with 2011 being the "year of the Ipad 2" it's not going to be this year like those reports speculated. Some were saying Sept. of this year. Like was said above, seems likely to be at least a year from now.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Will set my alarm to get my order in early online and then go back to my beauty sleep. (Need to work on the beauty a bit more)
Easiest way to get near to the front of the queue......

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any iPad 2s ordered by early next week will get to you on time. Wal-mart and Best Buy will have them, but in limited quantities. It looks like there will be a lot of buyers. A reseller of electronic gear bought only 1200 earlier models of iPhones from people wanting the iPhone 4. He already has 2000 iPads from people going to upgrade.

Fifi1992

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered my 3GS online when it came out. I ordered it about 1 week after it came out

Fifi1992

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ill order mine online after all the hoopla calms down I ordered my 3GS online when it came out. I ordered it about 1 week after it came out I got it within 6 days. I'm upgrading to the iPhone 5 whenever it comes out.

Most reactions