What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attaching photos to email

finnpaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I get a photo from from iPad photos to be attached to an email? When I click on the icon to send the photo as an email it doesn't go, so I went to my email account and there were no icons for attachments

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Finn...let's see what's going on. Have you tried to quit both the photo and mail app? Sometimes, if even if you have done all the right steps-apps still act funny. To quit an app, hit the home button twice until you get the multi-task bar showing on the button. Find both the mail and photo app and long press on one of them until all icons begin to jiggle. Press the red negative button to both of these app. Than re-open the photo app/desired photo-to get to the box with the arrow coming out of it. Press that to give you the option to email or copy the photo to your email. See if that works for you.

Good luck. :)

OP
F

finnpaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Hi Finn...let's see what's going on. Have you tried to quit both the photo and mail app? Sometimes, if even if you have done all the right steps-apps still act funny. To quit an app, hit the home button twice until you get the multi-task bar showing on the button. Find both the mail and photo app and long press on one of them until all icons begin to jiggle. Press the red negative button to both of these app. Than re-open the photo app/desired photo-to get to the box with the arrow coming out of it. Press that to give you the option to email or copy the photo to your email. See if that works for you.

Good luck. :)

Sorry very untechnical! Don't understand any of that! Have come right out of photos and email and tried again. Essentially I have 2 problems. One, when I click on the box with the arrow coming out with the photo in front of me and I fill in the email form, it doesn't go to my inbox. Two, there are no attachments icons in my aol or my yahoo accounts.!!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One, when I click on the box with the arrow coming out with the photo in front of me and I fill in the email form, it doesn't go to my inbox. Two, there are no attachments icons in my aol or my yahoo accounts.!!

Are you trying to send yourself a picture or to somebody else. When I send pictures to someone, I check to see if the picture was sent by going back to the "sent" folder. I pull up that email to verify if the picture showed it. For me using Gmail-the picture comes as a full picture on my ipad, I do not see an attachment. Try for yourself and see.

I just verified with gmail through my PC to see if there was an attachment. I did not see the paper clip when I open it, the picture automatically loaded right into the body of the note. This is the same for my Yahoo account as well. I am not familiar with aol.

Last edited:
OP
F

finnpaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ahh! I think you can help! In yahoo, how do you attach the photo to the email? When using a pc, I just click on an attach icon or a attach files and go to pictures stored on pc, select and attach. With no icon on iPad yahoo email I can't attach a photo.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can't attach things directly through your email app on your iPad. You have to go to the app for which you want to attach to your email. For instance, a picture. You need to go to the photo app on your iPad and attach it that way. Does that make sense? Your photo will show up in the body of your email. It will not show up in your inbox as you are thinking earlier. It does not show up as a paper clip.

You are used to your email on your PC. You are used to thinking of pressing the paper clip and your directory opens to attach something.

The steps are different when emailing attachments on your iPad.

Last edited:
OP
F

finnpaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK something must be wrong with iPad as I go to photo app, bring up picture, press box with arrow coming out which brings up options of sending as email. I fill in email address, press send, but it doesn't go anywhere! Or is it me?!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You may have to wait a bit - it's not an instantaneous process (you have to listen for the "swoosh" sound).

Marilyn

P.S. You've posted in two other places about this e-mailing concern of yours. I've deleted them. For one, it confuses people who are trying to follow the conversation and two, it's against the forum rules. So, just look in this thread for the help - which I hope we can give you...

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Finn...as Marilyn said, it does take a few seconds. You will hear the swoosh sound that it was sent. If you own 2 emails, why don't you send a picture to your other account so you see and feel better that you have done it correctly. If you can do this, post back and let us know your results. Thanks.

OP
F

finnpaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok have not been on a forum before and did not realise there were diff threads til I found the help one. I have no 'swoosh' sound...and still means I cannot attach anything to a basic email. Do I have to download something first? Thanks

OP
F

finnpaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Finn...as Marilyn said, it does take a few seconds. You will hear the swoosh sound that it was sent. If you own 2 emails, why don't you send a picture to your other account so you see and feel better that you have done it correctly. If you can do this, post back and let us know your results. Thanks.

I went on the photo app, got up the photo to send and sent to myself with no result. Then I went to both email accounts to do it the traditional way and with no icon for attachments was also stuck!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Restart your iPad than try again.

If that doesn't work, reset your iPad by pressing the power switch and home button together until you get the apple logo. Will shut off.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps others can help you.

Also, search your question-perhaps we missed something which may be hidden in previous threads. Good luck.

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Check the "iPad User's Guide to iOS 5" page 102 for email and page 106 for sending mail and attachments. The guide is a free download in iBooks.

Most reactions

Latest posts