What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email attachments

Craicpot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I there any way I can attach a photo on my ipad3 and keep it as attachment and not attach to body of email. I belong to a camera club and I am going away on holidays and I need to attach photos as an attachment. Hopefully this makes sense.
Cheers Craicpot

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe there is no way to compose in the stock Mail app and have the pictures be attachments. Some people, as a function of THEIR e-mail account, will get the e-mail with the pictures as attachments, but that's not a given. So, no way to make the photos be attachments ... using the stock Mail app to compose.

But.

I found this neat app a while ago called "Multiple Attachments" (($1.99, USD). Here's the link:

Multiple Attachments by Jan Mazurczak
https://appsto.re/us/l0dHW.i

What it does is use Apple's "Open In" function to work. As long as an app uses the Share function, you can put it into the Multiple Attachments app (any file, BTW, not just photos). You can just keep loading up the attachments and the app uses your e-mail account(s) to create an e-mail. Then, when you're done adding attachments, you type up what you want to say, add the "To" addressee(s) and send off the e-mail. The app description describes the process better than I, but it sure is an efficient way to send attachments.

For you - it'll be a bit hard to use because you can't use the "Open In" function from within the Photos app. Try it - you'll see. yes, you can open the Mail app, but that's only for ONE photo. And no, I don't know why Apple has the Photos app with no real Share function (!). :(

So, you'll have to have your photos in another app in order to use the "Open In function. I use the app "Smart Photo Organizer" ($0.99, USD) because you can set it up to automatically sort your entire Camera Roll into folders it can access. From there, it's a simple process to use the Open In function. Here's the link (though, of course, you can use any other photo organizing app):

Smart Photo Organizer by Backpackr Inc.
https://appsto.re/us/xnKNI.i

So, you open the Smart Photo Organizer app to use the Share/"Open In" function to put your photo(s) in the Multiple Attachment app to create an e-mail with attachments. Follow that? :D

Seriously, though, it's a lot quicker of a process that writing this makes it seem. And, again, it's the only way I know of to send photos as an attachment because Apple won't let us properly share photos.

So, this is one idea. Maybe others will have another (more simpler) one. :)

Good luck and have fun on your trip!

Marilyn

Edited to add: And where are my manners?! Welcome to the forum. It's good to "see" you and I hope you enjoy your visits here.

Last edited:
OP
C

Craicpot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all your info, I downloaded photo organizer and email attachment apps. The photos are still embedded into email which is what I don't want just need them as attachment, one photo at a time will do. they don't make it easy. feeling frustrated lol. I need photo as attachment so it can go to flickr camera club site to have photo judged. Thanks for all your help Marilyn.

Craicpot

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Huh. I had attached two pictures to an e-mail using Multiple Attachments, sent them to a Gmail account and the pictures showed in-line. But - the Gmail account (in Safari) listed them as attachments. So, I assumed they were attachments.

Sorry they aren't. So, here's hoping someone else can help out. Cause that was my best (and only) shot.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If they are small enough an in a compatible format, Mail always shows pictures in-line. Most modern email apps do this. And other than seeing the picture it does not make a difference. If an email app won't show the picture in-line, then it will show as an attachment; no matter how you sent it.

What issue are you having with the Mail app that it makes a difference whether the picture shows up inline in the email or as a little icon? It won't make a difference in download times, and it does not make a difference in your ability to save the picture.

Most reactions

Latest posts