What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AT&T Unlimited 3G ipad plan is history!

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ouch, not nice to do after just one month, and all the unlimited advertising. I went over 2 gig in my first month, so all I can say is, Im so glad I got mine when i did, and can keep my plan! I think they discovered they were wrong about most people not ever using the 3G, AT&T thought that it would all be wifi use.

OP
S

Star56

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The real winners are now the JB/mifi users. You can keep the unlimited data plan on your iPhone (since you will not be officially tethering) and have all the 3G you want on your iPad.

mcbrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm torn... in the first month of usage, I didn't even rack up 900 megs on 3G. I use my iPad mostly at home and at work, where I have wifi. Mostly, the 3G is used in my car, and I am obviously not streaming videos while I'm driving. However, I often use the map program as I am driving... even if I don't need it. It is fun to play with at stoplights. I also frequently stream radio programs over 3G while driving.

With my type of usage, I'd find it pretty hard to reach 2gb in a month. I guess there are people who stream a lot of videos from non-wifi locations.

Anyway, I am torn between downgrading to the $25/2gb and saving $60 a year, or keeping the unlimited plan just in case. The only time I couls imagine going over my 2gb is if I was taking a road trip and my wife was watching movies in the car. She usually wants to watch the scenery, though (something a lot of today's kids never get to see).

thehatguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.greatthreads.com
Never used the 3G yet on my iPad.

Wonder what happens after 6/7/10 if it still hasn't been activated.

Think I'll be grand-fathered or will they somehow change me to the newer rates?

John

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since you haven't activated, I'm sure they would charge the new rate...AT&T doesn't even know you have it yet remember?

As for tethering, I'm not jail broken, but I tether my iPhone, by keeping 3.0 installed. I'm wondering though, with tethering being legit soon, will they stop those who are doing it without paying or maybe just automatically add that $20 a month?? And since I have unlimited plan would I have to switch to their new pricing to tether legit?

I'm sure they can tell if it's being used to tether, and these changes bring a lot to ponder. Been considering dropping iPhones totally, since it's only used for calls/texts now....so now I have even more to think about.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
crap! I thought that rate was too good to be true. If you think about it, the iPad has the potential to be the highest data consuming device on their network. If you make use of wifi where you can, 2GB probably wont be an issue for most people though.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another reason AT&T sucks. So glad I didn't waste money on the 3G version.

candafilm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They couldn't have waited until July 1st or something? I'm going to get my 3G iPad right after this goes into effect. I guess I'll be using Wifi more than I thought.

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Verizon did this a while back with all their cell cards, without a very good notification. They originally were all unlimited and they dropped them down to 5gb. I had to call them to correct the exorbitant charges for going over 5gb. They didn't even grandfather people in and I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T after a while forced everyone to switch to the new plans.

It's obvious they didn't expect people to be using so much data, I'm sure it is the video streaming that is killing them, that is what always put me over the top on my Verizon cell card.

BassGear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WOW crazy! I setup the unlimted a few weeks ago because of a long road trip, I haven't used the 3G much since but I'm glad I'm locked in the unlimited now! :D

candafilm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question, but is there any way to lock in the unlimited plan before I get my iPad?

I don't mind paying an extra week if it means I'll be locked into the unlimited plan.

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check out this news - seems funny that news of Verizon getting the iPad comes at the same time as AT&T changes their plans.

According to a highly placed source of ours, Verizon Wireless is currently testing Apple iPad devices on their network. We have been told that the model they are testing is a CDMA-compatible device, and while our source mentioned LTE in some capacity (possibly another model), we haven't been able to independently confirm that part of it.

beingV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you buy before June 7th? Seems the new capped plans don't taken affect until then.

Most reactions

Latest posts