What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are You Guys Familiar With The ipads Old Father?

OP
Ultrimate

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, talking about old computers got me thinking as well,

I had the Atari 2600, but my first real computer with keyboard was the Commodore 64, but brother mainly used it, it really sprung inspiration for him he was on it 24/7, and became manic with computers after that, today he is become a software engineer making mega $$$$$.

So lesson to be learned, get ur kid a good computer early.

pik0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.TheDailyMapper.com
Yeah, talking about old computers got me thinking as well,

I had the Atari 2600, but my first real computer with keyboard was the Commodore 64, but brother mainly used it, it really sprung inspiration for him he was on it 24/7, and became manic with computers after that, today he is become a software engineer making mega $$$$$.

So lesson to be learned, get ur kid a good computer early.

Amen to that!! My son is only 22 months old and already has an iPad. He's amazing!! Knows where all his learning apps are and how find all his baby einstein videos! He's sitting on his mat beside me as I type this learning how to spell!!

I bet there's more processing power in the iPad than the original ENIAC!!! Heck even my Magic Trackpad prolly has more power than that... :p

Piko

xultar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I remember I got my Newton when they first came out. I remember it clearly because it was the day of the OJ chase. I was trying to set it up in front of the TV next to my front window, I was watching the NBA championship and they broke in with the bronco chase.

Unfortunately the bronco chase wasn't enough distraction from the utter frustration of trying to get the Newton to understand my handwriting. I wanted to throw, chuck, heave, my Newton out the window. I was on a third floor and it would have been certain death for the little thing. I hated it so much. If it worked it would have been such a dream.

xultar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder if that started Jobs' hate against the stylus.

Actually the Newton was quite popular...the problem was it was very expensive and niche...Apple was ready to really ramp it up and make it more mainstream when Jobs stepped in and cancelled the device.

I think the stylus can be beneficial but the device and the apps need to be really joined @ the hip to work. Penultimate for instance. Is like writing on paper. They did a good job of integrating stylus and the app which takes great advantage of the platform.

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ugh. I have two Newtons, a Dell Axim a Casio...

I am "that" one dude who had the perfect handwriting for the Newton. I was at like 98% accuracy. I loved it enough to buy a second one. We almost adopted them in our workplace for passing down work notes from shift to shift.

I was heartbroken when Apple dropped it.

Ironically, this weekend I decided to recycle all of my old electronics. The Newtons, my Axim and my old Atari ST are all in a pile ready to become pieces of computers...

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I of course had the Atari game console. But my first real computer was the Texas Instruments TI-99 4/A, then I moved up a couple of years later and got a Commodore 128, then eventually an IBM PC.

cmalinowski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I of course had the Atari game console. But my first real computer was the Texas Instruments TI-99 4/A, then I moved up a couple of years later and got a Commodore 128, then eventually an IBM PC.

I had the Atari 400 (membrane keyboard) and then moved up to the Atari 800. Then the Apple ][. Ah, the good old days... no lower case, AppleRunner was THE game, flipping disks over to get double the capacity :)

I still have an original IBM PC in my parents garage attic... for no good reason :)

Chris

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I remember using a special "notcher" to cut a notch in the side of my 5.25" single-sided floppy disks so I could use the other, unverified side, which worked perfectly. Cheaper than buying double-sided disks.

pik0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.TheDailyMapper.com
I remember using a special "notcher" to cut a notch in the side of my 5.25" single-sided floppy disks so I could use the other, unverified side, which worked perfectly. Cheaper than buying double-sided disks.

LOL!!

And then you had to use those stupid little stickers over the notch in order to "write-protect" the disk... :p

Those were the days...

Piko

Most reactions

Latest posts