What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are We seeing Fraud in App Store?

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I have noticed something very disturbing while browsing the new iPad app store. I see Apps with overwhelming negative votes indicating they are crap with absolutely no one or two star comments or few negative comments. What gives? Is Apple allowing the developer to DELETE negative reviews if he/she doesn't like them?

This isn't so bad when the app is free since you only wasted your time downloading it, but when the app costs money that is dishonest gain IMHO. What do you think? Have you also noticed this new 'feature' of the app store?

Please look at these links for examples.

Duo Browser

By BluMedialab.com

Duo Browser for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

SplitBrowser

By Elastic Fiction

SplitBrowser for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

This last app had only five reviews so iTunes is showing two good comments and only one negative comment out of five.

These two are presented only as two quick examples of what I suggest you may want to look for. The only reason I mention it is I have noticed this same pattern with other apps. It is not like Amazon.com where all the negative reviews are published to help you determine what is wrong with a given product.

Maybe I am full of it. Lets here it from other observers, am I wrong or right? What do you see?

BTW the idea of a split browser is a total rip off. Apple can do that with safari without a special app. Look at the iPad online manual with Safari, there are split independent scrolling windows using only HTML5 code. Bet you did notice that before.

Last edited:

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I really don't see a problem. Perhaps I am not understanding your point..... From what I have seen it's like Amazon or others. An overall rating, then individual reviews..... Some negative and some positive.....

OP

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really don't see a problem. Perhaps I am not understanding your point..... From what I have seen it's like Amazon or others. An overall rating, then individual reviews..... Some negative and some positive.....

Where are the negative reviews going? They seem to be vanishing from the App store for some applications.

The stars are there but no written reviews.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
On those two examples I see what you mean.... But I have seen plenty of one star reviews on apps...... And what would be the point? The ratings are the first thing people look at, and if they are like me I don't bother even reading the comments if the rating is low..... Sonif Apple wanted to manipulate anything it should be the ratings....

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are a lot of people that post negative reviews without comments. Sometimes without even trying the product.

StudioTq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you un-install a app, the ipad will give you the ability to star rate it. I have given some one star ratings but not said or commented why. All is all the App was horrible. Why, because it crashed every time I used it so I could not say that and 3 other people did. Maybe my comment would have helped but I just wanted it gone.

My 1 KB of knowledge has now been passed to you :)

Tom Q

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
When you un-install a app, the ipad will give you the ability to star rate it. I have given some one star ratings but not said or commented why. All is all the App was horrible. Why, because it crashed every time I used it so I could not say that and 3 other people did. Maybe my comment would have helped but I just wanted it gone.

My 1 KB of knowledge has now been passed to you :)

Tom Q

Good point, the rating is part of deleting an app..... Therefore it is more likely to be negative..... After all, you are deleting it.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I disagree. I have written two negative comments on two different apps. One was very negative, and the APP Store did not edit either comment. The APP Store also maintained the order of comments based on dates placed. In my view, the APP Store is honest!

Sincere11105

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It could be that when you delete an app from the home screen it will ask you for your rating. You can rate it but cant leave a comment about it.

kilofox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Negative reviews by teenagers are worthless 99% of the time.... which just also happens to be 99% of the negative reviews in the iTunes app store.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you're confused. You can leave a star rating without a review.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The stars are there but no written reviews.

When you delete app directly on your device it brings a popup that asks you to star review it, but there is no way to do a written review with that feature. So that might explain why there are stars and not written reviews.

You can also just go into the app store and select a star rating and never leave a comment.

Most reactions

Latest posts