What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are There Any Compelling Reasons To Jailbreak An iPad?

jimt29

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a jailbroken iPhone 5 with IOS 7.04. It's great being jailbroken but I don't use the iPad like the iPhone at all.

I have the iPad Air and haven't jailbroken it yet and don't intend to unless I can fine some good reasons to do so.

So any and all, chime in. I'd love some good reasons to jailbreak the thing.

Jim

OP
J

jimt29

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well.... its been 10 days and not one reason to jailbreak an iPad. I haven't done it and it looks like it won't be jailbroken.

380 views and not one post. Rather disappointing, wot!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll be honest with you - the reason why I didn't respond to this thread was because no one can persuade anyone to jail break an iPad. Especially if that someone already has a jail broken iPhone! You know what a jail broken device can do ... how are any more (other) reasons going to explain the benefits of a jail broken iPad?

We have a dedicated Hacking sub-forum (this thread is in it). We have a long-running thread here that talks about the "ultimate" tweaks for an iPad (here: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=25824); the entire sub-forum is dedicated to iPad jail breaking (to include theming, tutorials, how-tos and reviews).

We have a lot of reviews in this Hacking sub-forum that explain how various tweaks work on an iPad and how pleased people are with these tweaks. Posters add their comments on new tweaks and their experiences using a jail broken iPad.

If, after a thorough reading of the Hacking sub-forum, you still need reasons to jail break your iPad - then I'm afraid nothing here is going to convince you.

Sorry.

Marilyn

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Adding to Marilyn's comment, many use their iPads as is since they are known to work, and they do work well. Many others jailbreak theirs since they want to tweak and/or add things that Apple do not support, i.e. XBMC. An example is the price of Apple TV. People are willing to pay more, a lot more, for the ATV1 and ATV2. Meanwhile ATV3, with better specs, can be bought at or below list price, since it cannot be jailbroken.
If you satisfy with yours as is, don't bother to mess with it. Otherwise, read on the jailbreak section and have fun.:eek:

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
From my experience, JBing loses the point of iOS to be stable. For me though there are alot of of un-important tweaks. Some can be illegal (Which I always do in JBing.) Some improves features, which I never actually use. For me it almost destroyed my iPad. So I never tried it again. Warranty is not a problem as there is no apple store in my country.

As for the iPad Air, I think you should not jb it. You should wait for atleast 1 year so you you won't lose your warranty. Also there are a lot of JB tweaks not yet compatible for it.

SikYou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Warranty is not even an issue, you can reverse jailbreak and your warranty will still be valid.

The iPad is almost not worth owning if it isn't jail broken, IMO. I could list 50 reasons why the iPad is inadequate without jailbreak but it would be a waste of time. I have no desire to convince anyone to Jb their iPad, you either do it or you don't, doesn't matter to me. I can assure you though that my iPad is much more functional as an office/business device then it is without JB; I guess if I was just facebooking and playing games it would be fine out of the box.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Warranty is not even an issue, you can reverse jailbreak and your warranty will still be valid.

The iPad is almost not worth owning if it isn't jail broken, IMO. I could list 50 reasons why the iPad is inadequate without jailbreak but it would be a waste of time. I have no desire to convince anyone to Jb their iPad, you either do it or you don't, doesn't matter to me. I can assure you though that my iPad is much more functional as an office/business device then it is without JB; I guess if I was just facebooking and playing games it would be fine out of the box.

Agreed. The mentality is the same on Reddit on non-jailbroken subreddits. The stigma of having your warranty and insurance "voided" outweighs the benefits of the jailbreak, and that it's "extremely difficult" to jailbreak your device. Both are blatantly wrong, but it's just that the old theories and rumors became a sort of a reality to a lot of people. Jailbreaking is bad because it reduces your security. No, in fact, it's a boost to security if you have the right packages, you're less prone to malware/spyware unless you decide to open an unauthorized email or package. Jailbreaking drastically reduces your battery life. No, there are plenty of stock devices that have battery issues. By jailbreaking your device, there are possibilities of saving yourself some battery by disabling launch daemons that are unnecessary to keep running 24/7, etc. By jailbreaking, you brick your device if you mis-tap something. No.... You can brick a perfectly brand new, straight-out-of-the-box device as well. Jailbreaking your device can open yourself to mechanisms that can help prevent bricking. All of the basic upfront rumors and fears are just people worrying over nothing really.

But to play devil's advocate, some users are perfectly fine with the basic day-to-day mechanisms of the iPad itself. Some users are fine with the basic availability of features on the stock iOS and the enhanced functionality of a jailbroken device isn't necessary because they don't feel the need to open themselves to more outlets to maintain (since jailbreaking requires maintenance). For someone that uses Android and iOS, jailbreaking is almost a must or iOS will feel extremely lacking, or for users that want a more profound experience with their device, jailbreaking is a must. That and it feels like another siphon since the must-have tweaks/packages are paid as opposed to free, hence the number of pirates and piracy repos.

SikYou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Willerz2, you make a great point connecting Android ownership to desire to jailbreak. I never really thought about it but many of the people I know that own only Apple devices are the ones that don't see the value in jailbreaking. If all you know is iOS then you probably think that it is adequate as is; if you know Android well then you know that your iOS device needs more. Anyway...happy jailbreaking or not.

Writing of this post was facilitated by bloard, SwipeShiftCaret, and iKIWI HD; all wonderful jailbreak tweaks that you can't have if you don't jailbreak.

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score

LOL, I like people with strong opinion :eek:
I use my iPad for reading mostly. But I did the jailbreak the very first day I got it.

nickb67

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I travel with my ipad, on vacations, and download torrents of tv shows etc, this isnt as easy to do without jailbreak. Also Ifile is a must, and icleaner!
but if theres nothing you cant do that you want to , dont jailbreak.

Most reactions

Latest posts