What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps to make phone calls using the ipad?

reggieroo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the new iPad wifi only & was wondering if there is an app that allows you to make free calls to any phone, like say a call a mobile phone or landline? I was without my phone today & was trying to find a way to call somebody from the iPad, only people I could contact was other iOS users using messages or FaceTime & people who use email via my mail app or via Skype but what I really wanted to do was call a mobile phone.

Last edited:
OP
R

reggieroo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Smooth65 said:
Try textnow, talkatone from the app store. Works great when without a phone!

Pretty sure I looked at that & it is only for US & Canada, I'm in the UK.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Doesn't exist. There are plenty of voice over IP apps, but no one has any way to provide a free service from your iPad or iPhone into every paid network on the planet...

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
reggieroo said:
I have the new iPad wifi only & was wondering if there is an app that allows you to make free calls to any phone, like say a call a mobile phone or landline? I was without my phone today & was trying to find a way to call somebody from the iPad, only people I could contact was other iOS users using messages or FaceTime & people who use email via my mail app or via Skype but what I really wanted to do was call a mobile phone.

Get Skype credit and you can call any phone you want.

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
Get Skype credit and you can call any phone you want.

And if your friends have Skype you can call them for free :)

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

OP
R

reggieroo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks as though it is Skype for now then, although I just tried a vid call with somebody & it was terrible. How do you add Skype credit, via credit card I assume & that I don't have.

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
reggieroo said:
Looks as though it is Skype for now then, although I just tried a vid call with somebody & it was terrible. How do you add Skype credit, via credit card I assume & that I don't have.

You can pay using credit cards, debit card, PayPal or you can buy Skype vouchers from places like Sainsbury's - do an Internet search for Skype payment options and it shows you lots of ways to get credit.

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

OP
R

reggieroo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
darkangelwitch said:
You can pay using credit cards, debit card, PayPal or you can buy Skype vouchers from places like Sainsbury's - do an Internet search for Skype payment options and it shows you lots of ways to get credit.

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

Well if you buy a voucher, that would be handy. I guess I could then get a small amount of credit for that odd time like the other day when I didn't have my phone & use Skype to call any phone.

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
reggieroo said:
Well if you buy a voucher, that would be handy. I guess I could then get a small amount of credit for that odd time like the other day when I didn't have my phone & use Skype.

I only keep £10 credit at a time, covers for emergencies and see,s to last a long time LOL

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
With Skype your credit is never lost as long as you send a text message or a phone call once every 180 days . I set a reminder and call myself if I haven't used it !

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yptcn said:
With Skype your credit is never lost as long as you send a text message or a phone call once every 180 days . I set a reminder and call myself if I haven't used it !

Ooooo I didn't know that, now I know why my tender lasts so long :)

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

Susanjane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yptcn said:

Tptcn, thanks for that info- I just texted myself to keep the credit active.

Most reactions

Latest posts