What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple will Eventually Issue Patch for Wi-Fi Issues

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
wifi-support.jpg

ZDNet reports today that Apple has updated a support document which deals with the issues that some users have been experiencing with Wi-Fi on their iPad. The document refers to the fact that “A very small number of iPad users have experienced issues with Wi-Fi connectivityâ€, which is probably a little more accurate than ZDNet’s statement that the iPad has been “plagued by Wi-Fi issuesâ€.

The Apple support document goes on to suggest several workarounds for the Wi-Fi connectivity issues, including updating your Wi-Fi router firmware, using WPA or WPA2 wireless security encryption instead of WEP, as WEP is older, adjusting screen brightness if the brightness is set too low, and renewing the IP address. And if you find that you’re still having Wi-Fi issues after all that tweaking, Apple adds that it will “address the remaining Wi-Fi connectivity issues with a future iPad software update.â€

By Maura Sutton, iPadForums.net
Source: ZDNet

CT7_466

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DHCP issues

I understand the problem stems from the iPad not renewing the DHCP lease: powering off and on the unit or disengaging the wifi in Settings and then reengaging the function, will force the unit to request a new lease.

HTML:
http://www.net.princeton.edu/announcements/ipad-iphoneos32-stops-renewing-lease-keeps-using-IP-address.html

MattChance

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
SwagBucks.com
Mine is constantly forgetting my WiFi passwords. It's so much fun having to re-enter a 20+ digit alphanumeric code every time I want to use the piece of crap.

My favorite Made in China glitch is when it randomly decides you have entered an "Incorrect Password" in the settings screen, despite having used the WiFi for 3 hours straight with the same password.

I really should've just paid the restocking fee and took the hit.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't use security so I haven't really had an issue regarding that. I haven't had any sudden drops either. Range is about the same as my touch and much better than my vaio laptop.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't understand how or why people are having problems. I've got a 3 year old router, use security, and have never had a single issue with my iPad using Wi-Fi.

rlee131

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Poor range

My issue is with the range of the signal. My connection to my router and wifi hot spots is ok. But the antenna on my iPad only finds Very close signals. For example at home my laptop and $300 netbook finds my neighbors networks which we all share if our Internet provider goes down (my neighbors have different providers).

Talked with apple about this and they do not know for sure if the new software will take care of this or not. From everything I have read on the Internet about this issue, most "tech" people think this is a hardware issue (most likely the antenna).

Has anyone on this forum experienced this specific issue?

By the way when I first received my unit I did have the connection issues at home and other locations as well as a antenna range problem. Apple replaced my original unit and I no longer have the connection problems only poor range

Doma1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wifi connectivity

Was unable to connect in public wifi area and can't figure out why. No prelim for the iPhones connecting at same place. Any ideas??

Doma1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wifi connectivity

Was unable to connect in public wifi area and can't figure out why. No problem for the iPhones connecting at same place. Any ideas??

rle737ng

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using the free wifi in Las Vegas airport right now. No problems whatever. My hotel in Milwaukee for tomorrow has notoriously bad wifi. I will report from there.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i got yet 3 iPad ( 2 32Go wifi, and one 32Go 3G) with all of them i didn’t have wifi problem, i believe we be lucky when i see so many people have wifi trouble and all have yet travel in 3 country and get perfect network everywhere include public wifi in Indonesia where 3G is just a joke ….

rlee131

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Defective iPads

I don't understand how or why people are having problems. I've got a 3 year old router, use security, and have never had a single issue with my iPad using Wi-Fi.

Having experienced the "connections" problems myself and then have them "go away" when apple replaced my unit, there is little doubt that with all the problems out there, there are in fact many defective iPads that were sold

kyxz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The wifi issue must be rare or for some units only more mine never had that problem
Whether on open or secured networks
Home or public networks..here in Manila
More power to the iPad ita revolutionary...so portable

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I turned off brightness autosensing - I haven't had a problem since. Before that, the iPad had trouble reconnecting to my wi-fi router.

obob01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad drops WiFi lease

I have done a small (10+) user survey of people who, like me, have Verizon FIOS running the ActionTec router. Mine happens to be about 3 yrs old. I have a pretty much constantly recurring problem with dropping the lease. Having finally gotten so used to it, I now have placed my WEP pw in a note, copied it, and when the lease needs to renew, I paste it into the message box.

The Apple Store in Temecula, CA also reports that they have noticed the problem in particular with the Verizon/FIOS/ActionTec setup.

Most reactions

Latest posts