What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Ripped Me Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thecaptain: You are making an assumption that the Apple employees were being dishonest. You have no proof of any such thing. If you go to them and have that attitude, you will get no cooperation. You screwed up by not doing proper research. They did not. We have the luxury of guessing when a new iPad is released and what it might have as features. We are often wrong. As an example, the iPhone is almost always released in the summer. The 4S was released in the Fall, mostly due to the issues with the Japan tsunami. And it was going to be called the iPhone 5, have a different back, OLED, etc. None of which came through. And Siri, the WOW feature, was not even speculated about.

Apple sales employees are young kids with limited knowledge of their product. They know that if they are caught speculating about anything that is not official, they woud be fired. Maybe draconian, but necessary. If a enormous mega-company like Apple has an employee making statements about any product and it is a lie, then Apple can be subjected to lawsuites and fines. Maybe not in Oz, but it can happen here and does. Lawyers often dictate how many things get done, or don't get done.

zeteo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, but the fact of a new iPod coming out was general knowledge to anyone doing the slightest research.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Seadog said:
thecaptain: You are making an assumption that the Apple employees were being dishonest. You have no proof of any such thing. If you go to them and have that attitude, you will get no cooperation. You screwed up by not doing proper research. They did not. We have the luxury of guessing when a new iPad is released and what it might have as features. We are often wrong. As an example, the iPhone is almost always released in the summer. The 4S was released in the Fall, mostly due to the issues with the Japan tsunami. And it was going to be called the iPhone 5, have a different back, OLED, etc. None of which came through. And Siri, the WOW feature, was not even speculated about.

Apple sales employees are young kids with limited knowledge of their product. They know that if they are caught speculating about anything that is not official, they woud be fired. Maybe draconian, but necessary. If a enormous mega-company like Apple has an employee making statements about any product and it is a lie, then Apple can be subjected to lawsuites and fines. Maybe not in Oz, but it can happen here and does. Lawyers often dictate how many things get done, or don't get done.

Agreed. I wouldn't want anyone to loose their job giving ME privileged information.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.1Update From NYC!!! using iPF

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MoonlitSonata said:
Sorry, but you are the one to blame for not doing any research. Not Apple.

Well, yes but let's give the OP a little break here. I'm many stores I shop at they're are usually upfront about known changes or upgrades that are soon to come. I think its only courteous. Not saying the employees did anything wrong technically but I would have said something had I known something was coming down the pipe. It's probably worth it for the OP to see if Apple will refund any recent price drop differences. That to me would be a fair solution.

OTOH, when researching products it's always good to look into what's coming up and what the latest buzz and news is out there. That falls on the buyer.

OP
T

thecaptain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AnnaR said:
Last year we purchased the iPad 1 for my mother and shortly after, they brought out the iPad 2 and reduced iPad 1 by £100. Wasn't happy, went back to the store and was refunded £100. May be worth asking the question - if you don't ask, you don't get. You certainly don't have anything to lose.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Well had a phone call from a PR person at Apple today following my written complaint. They just made "spin type" excuses and we went round in circles. Didn't expect any satisfaction and wasn't disappointed. No luck with getting a refund of the price reduction either. Obviously Apple are not doing well and need my $100.00 more than I do.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well had a phone call from a PR person at Apple today following my written complaint. They just made "spin type" excuses and we went round in circles. Didn't expect any satisfaction and wasn't disappointed. No luck with getting a refund of the price reduction either. Obviously Apple are not doing well and need my $100.00 more than I do.

I am sorry that you feel taken advantage of. However, you do have to look at your behaviors and ask whether you have to blame yourself more than anyone. I find usually that people that don't take responsibility for their situation are taken advantage of a lot.

Everyone in the world knows that car manufacturers introduce new models just about every year. And so it is with electronics.
To drag the car model further, let's say One person goes into a car dealership and pays top dollar, and the next person beside him is getting a 10% lower price, why? Simple - because the person paying top dollar has not done any research.

BTW: To make you feel better, you may want to read about what happens to companies that pre-announce new products before they are available for sale. Search for 'The Osborne effect'

Sure you paid a $100 more that if you had waited 5 weeks - but you have learned an invaluable lesson about doing research. It will save you thousands of dollars in the future.:)

OP
T

thecaptain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zphone said:
Sure you paid a $100 more that if you had waited 5 weeks - but you have learned an invaluable lesson about doing research. It will save you thousands of dollars in the future.:)

No what I have learned is that Apple cannot be trusted - it think its because it is large it can get away with anything. It is about time we consumers demanded a fair go but everyone on this Forum seam brainwashed by Apple and I can't understand why.

I have mentioned Apples treatment of this matter to a lot of people and all agree with me and Apple have lost some sales but perhaps it is just the Aussie belief in giving everyone a fair go.

Everyone keeps saying about doing research well as I have said previously my research involved talking to the Apple staff and I expected honesty from them.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't want to rain on your parade, Captain, but presumably the people who work in your local Apple store are Australian, and like you, also believe in giving people a fair go; fair go being the australianese for the British sense of fair play, which, being British, I understand and apply.

Where are you going to draw the line? Did you want sales of iPad 2s to cease a week before the decision was made to start selling the iPad 3? Or a month? Or 6 months?

Apple are like any other manufacturer of consumer products. They have a product lineup which you are at liberty to select from, or reject. Does anyone actually know what the various other tablet manufacturers have waiting in the wings? I know I don't, but if I was in the market for any of them, I'd take a while to compare models and see what was on offer, and do a bit of research to find out what the history of the companies was, and what their future plans might be.

Brainwashed by Apple? I don't think so. However, it is inevitable that having come to a forum that is full of people who have the very machine that you are so upset about, that you are going to be conversing with some very satisfied customers.

The computer industry has, for years now, made expensive equipment obselete almost overnight over and over again, but what price progress. I might be upset that I've spent thousands on computer equipment over the years, but I'm damned sure glad that I'm not stuck with a 386 processor and Windows 3.1 because someone might be concerned about upsetting me by moving on.

Your iPad 2 is still a remarkable piece of equipment, which will be useful for years. I'm using the same equipment myself and I'm not surprised that what cost nearly $1000 a year ago can be bought for half that today, neither do I blame Apple for moving on.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you can find that every corporation can be trusted to maximize its profits.
Can you name one that is different?

I'll just say that you are not alone in purchasing an iPad2 - and they are still selling well.
I myself just bought a 65" TV in Dec, and due to announcements of new products from the manufacturer that has lost several hundred dollars in price. I was expecting it thought, as Panasonic introduces new models every March. I still paid a fair price for it, and does exactly what I was expecting it to do. By next Dec this particular TV will be reduced by about $1000. But buy a brand new car and I'll bet you will lose more just driving it off the lot.
The main difference is that I am happy with my purchase and you are unhappy about yours.

I'll tell you what is getting taken, it's when you buy a product and it does not do what you bought it for.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Captain, the new iPad has been talked about here since before Christmas, we all knew there would be one and if you look at the threads you will see there was all manner of speculation of what, where when. But that's easy for us to say as we all have an iPad already and are kept well informed of all developments and speculations here. For someone like you that decided you wanted a tablet and then went talking to sales reps to try to make the best choice, as there is so many available, you probably thought you were doing the right checks and balances and had made the right decision. Well you did make the right decision in the iPad but then to realize there is a new one and the one you have has now been discounted, well I can understand how that must have felt and I know it's not a nice feeling at all and then you came here and just wanted some empathy as a person and have now been inundated with 'you should haves', well I can understand how that must feel for you too. But now it's time to put all this behind you and to just enjoy the iPad you have. It is a wonderful device that can and will do so much for you and you have certainly come to the right place in which to learn. All the best!

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Captain: I can understand your frustration, but as others have said, Apple Store employees don't know when/if new models are coming out much before the official announcements. i have two family members who work for Apple Stores. one found out the day of the announcement when he clocked in, the other one (a store manger) found out the day before that, so it is very unlikely the employees at the store knew anything official and they aren't allowed to give advice on unconfirmed rumors (in fact they can be fired for doing so).

Genebaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You bought the best tablet available at the time of purchase. Use it and be happy.

To be even happier next time do a little research, as has been suggested.

Benii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just love when people feel 'ripped off' because they buy technology, then something newer comes along and their model is cheaper.

Apple is there to sell products, like every other company in the world. I'm constantly amazed that people use words like 'greedy' and 'evil' about corporations just trying to make a dollar. That's what they are there to do. It's business, not a hobby to them.

Also, just how much noticed would you like to be warned by sales staff 'not' to buy yet?
1 month (no, you bought yours 5 weeks ago..)
Well then. 2 months? 3? You realise they would make next to no sales during this period right?

Well, isn't that the easiest way to send tue worlds largest company bankrupt within the decade.

I agree with what many have said on here. It's up to you to research before you buy anything. I do all the time, and can usually get non apple stuff at almost half the price just by researching first.

Benii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also captain, I am from Australia and to be honest throwing terms like 'fair go' and 'that's in Australian' are just what people throw around when they don't like something. It's nothing to do with our culture any more or less than its America's or Europes!
I just think people in this forum have a better grasp of how the commercial world works.

Again, if apple simply told people not to buy for an extended period before a new release, their profits would plummet. And there would still be someone upset they weren't told as they purchased one just days before they started telling people.

It isn't about a fair go or not. Besides, if you take it back they will probably give you a refund for the difference.
That, by the way is Australian 'fair dinkum' retail law :)

Benii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One last thing captain. You're purchasing technology products. Time to start researching like your living in the 21st century. The worlds to big and fast moving to rely on a few shop keepers opinions (who only want to make a sale btw)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts