What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Apple Retail Experience

tbowers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was in the Apple retail store in Durham, N.C. the other day because my iPad has crashed. While there, I noted a strange phenomenon: about two dozen people milling around the "Genius Bar" at the back of the store, which I joined in a futile attempt to talk to one of the geniuses. People were holding iPads, iPhones, and computers. If I had been a customer looking to buy an Apple product, I might have asked a salesperson about the reason for all those people at the back of the store. The salesperson would have had to answer, "They are waiting to see technicians because they have had problems with the products they purchased in this store."

Does anyone else find that odd?

Bimjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not really, because in my experience the problems are usually software related- i.e. "how do I do this?" rather than hardware related.

Quite possibly just my timing however. Especially since I have to travel 230 miles to get to an Apple store & I tend to go in the middle of the week.

SeanDillon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The salesperson would have had to answer, "They are waiting to see technicians because they have had problems with the products they purchased in this store."

Does anyone else find that odd?

But is that much different than going to a car dealership and talking to a sales person when you see people and their cars around back and the sales person telling you "they bought their car here and now its back for service"

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you spend any time in the apple store you'll quickly find that it's like hanging around a coffee shop. Many people looking for things to add, buy and LEARN.

Reaction score
Bimjo said:
Not really, because in my experience the problems are usually software related- i.e. "how do I do this?" rather than hardware related.

Quite possibly just my timing however. Especially since I have to travel 230 miles to get to an Apple store & I tend to go in the middle of the week.

Jesus! 230 miles. That's insane. I would buy a windows.lol

Bimjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bimjo said:

Jesus! 230 miles. That's insane. I would buy a windows.lol

Yeah, that's why they invented internet shopping. :p

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tell me where would you find a free advise and assistance on a windows machine? The Genius Bar was named that because it was pure genius for Apple to come up with it. Most stores I have been in, will be packed with people that either made appointments or are hoping for a free moment with the Genius Bar. Part of the reason why it is so popular, is that they do not just rush you through in the usual 'drop it off and we'll get to it when we can' attitude. They listen to your problem, run a diagnostic with you and make recommendations. They usually do not try to sell you a product. My wife took her G4 iBook in a couple years ago for a sluggish operation. He cleaned up the drive and programing, did a couple updates and then suggested she might consider adding RAM to improve the performance. This is why people are so inamoured with Apple.

Most reactions

Latest posts