What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple is working on the iPad Mini ?

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No they already exist iphone/iPod touch. What are the advantages of making an iPad mini? It can't be spec wize better, and how would a smaller screen benefit any iPad apps.
I do not see the point in having one of theses. What would be the pricing? And wouldn't that just kill the iPod? Idk does not seem very smart. You'll lose the magic if it's shrunk lol

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oled screens are not superior in apples mind. Don't see them using those, apple does not like following trends. They try to start them.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read an article on Mac Tech and it seems like Apple is preparing the iPad Mini !! Do you think this is true ???

Mac Tech: Apple is Preparing The iPad Mini ?
I think they are full of crap and are just making it up just to mess with our heads!

Why do people read stuff in magazines then come here and ask a bunch of strangers who have no inside track into the inner workings of Apple and ask if it is true???

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oled screens are not superior in apples mind

lol, that's just what they said because they chose not to use them. From what I read, the main issue was that they couldnt get the volume of production they needed. Its not "following a trend" to use the lastest technology available when it fits your business model. If its the best choice at an acceptable price point, they will use it.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I certainly wont saw this is impossible, but I would be surprised to see them come out with these before at least the middle of next year. I would also be surprised to see them have a total of 3 different sized ipads on the market. Maybe they are going to phase out the iPod Touch and just make different sized iPads?

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This may all stem from the fact that iPhone4 has a screen with better resolution and the fact that it would be prohibitive to have one on the iPad without a more powerful chipset that has the graphics power for a bigger screen.

Maybe there's an A5 chip in the works?

keroro1979

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There have been reports of this from different sources.

True or not, one of the selling points for me was the large screen. If I'd wanted a smaller device, I would have gone for the Dell Streak.

Either way, I'm happy with my iPad, and will be so for the forseeable future. I see no point upgrading to the next one unless it has some major improvements.

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure they will, look how Sony Makes smaller Playstations...

Sony makes smaller playstations, not smaller playstations that are mobile with an attached screen and that would infringe or kill its PSP line. Companies don't usually compete against themselves on purpose. Apple won't either. A smaller iPad = the death of the iPod Touch.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why do people read stuff in magazines then come here and ask a bunch of strangers who have no inside track into the inner workings of Apple and ask if it is true???

Who stole your cookie? I think the OP just wanted to discuss this subject. This is a discussion board, right?:)

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure they will, look how Sony Makes smaller Playstations...

Sony makes smaller playstations, not smaller playstations that are mobile with an attached screen and that would infringe or kill its PSP line. Companies don't usually compete against themselves on purpose. Apple won't either. A smaller iPad = the death of the iPod Touch.

They could just call it the iPad touch...:p

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If they have good evidence they will sell, they will make them. The OLED screens are on the list of things that Apple wants, but given the high rate of rejects with standard touch screens, and the problems keeping up with demand, there is no way that Apple can afford to go with them.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dont think the smaller versions will sale, as everyone states the iPod takes this class. I'd rather see the next version have a few more options we've talked about rather then a different screen size selections.

theipadstudent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.theipadstudentexperiment.com
Apple stated in their original iPad keynote that Apple wanted to make a device that's more portable/functional than a netbook, bigger and more powerful than a smartphone, but not as complicated or built for heavy computing like a desktop or laptop. Apple wanted to make a third partition in the portable computing market - going from a smartphone and laptop market and turning it into a smartphone, ultraportable/slate, and laptop market. I highly doubt Apple wants to further saturate and diversify that market by adding yet another device that will, most likely, appeal to a very small number of people. Has anyone ever actually said "man I wish I had an Apple product that was bigger than my iPod touch but smaller than my iPad"?

It just doesn't make any sense, business, economical, logical, or otherwise.

Most reactions

Latest posts