What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Ipad Air is a joke

tatcoapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
plus.google.com
so I saw an advertisment for this Ipad Air. It sold me so I bought one. Ive been in the IT businness since 1965 mostly IBM and Microsoft. Seems every time I want to do something on this fool machine I have to go to the Apple store to get another app. Not cool at all. So I tried to get to this forum and you guessed it I had to get another app

Typing this topic i notice that it runs the lines off the right side. Lame.

Here is my question. I go to facebook and someone has sent me a video. I tap on the red arrow to play and most of the time The Ipad just sits there. On Microsoft Windows it always plays. So what is my problem? It must be me and my unfamiliarity with this machine. Should I just go to the Apple store and get familiar with this system? Thanks.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Learning how to use it is paramount. i am a very very longtime Windows user but bought the Ipad One the week it came out and have upgraded over an Ipad Three and now an Air. There are a number of native IOS apps but to get the best use out of the Ipad you do need apps, often free but if they are ones to be purchased from third party developers they are extremely inexpensive compared to apps/programs for Windows.

I am able to use my Ipad for many things-creating docs and spreadsheets, pdfs, opening pdfs, notetaking, photo processing (I still use my custom PC for processing in Lightroom and Photoshop and complex spreadsheets) drawing, editing videos, research, reading, watching videos, listening to music, using it for Air Play with Apple TV, using Air Drop with friends--andso many I can't even think of at the moment. I could go on and on and I do use a number of apps together to do many of these things (along with cut and paste, "open with" etc) but it sure beats sitting in front of a monitor and I can do anything anywhere for the most part. I didn't come to this way of using it the day I got one, I learned as I kept using it, as developers pushed with new apps that do pretty amazing things, as I explored how I CAN use it. Every version of the Ipad has been improved, same with the firmware (though we do have to deal with some early adopter bugs but still better each iteration).

My recommendation is figure out what you want to do with it and then do a bit of research about what apps may work best for that purpose, ask questions here and elsewhere. BTW, I don't access this forum by app, I prefer to access it through Safari.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You probably should have done more research on tablets before you bough your Air.

Apple does pretty well tie you to the Apple store (unless you jailbreak).. Android tablets keep you going to the Google Play Store for apps (unless you root). You don't have to look too far to see this.

Just to add... Neither Android or iOS have the capabilities of a full blown computer. They're designed to fill a niche.

If you want a thin computer, you should be looking at something like a Microsoft Surface Tablet.

Novakingwai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Android tablets keep you going to the Google Play Store for apps (unless you root).
Not true. There are a couple app stores that don't require root, like Amazon App store. Also you can download apps from websites and transfer them to your devices. Some websites host their own apps because Google won't approve them. :)

There's a lot of stuff tablets can't do that is common for computers. For example, Apple thinks Flash is the devil and will not let users install it. Adobe has stopped official support of Flash for Android, but you can download an archived version from their site. Websites don't always work properly in mobile browsers.

Apps are the workaround and fix most problems. For example, Tapatalk is a free and amazing app that lets you view forums like this one fixed for mobile viewing. Another one is the YouTube app. It let's you view videos that are in Flash by using something different inside the app.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Actually, the YouTube app just doesn't show you videos that aren't compatible with your device. That's getting pretty rare, since YouTube converts most videos to mobile friendly formats, unless the owner specifies otherwise.

Puffin is pretty good. I rarely need it, but it's great tool to have in reserve.

Also, the picture posting problem with this site was resoved with the iOS 8.02 update. You don't have to use Puffin anymore; unless you happen to like it better than Safari.

pjPonzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.gummy-stuff.org
What's a mite irritating (with Safari) is the appearance of the bookmarks when you rotate a web page to landscape. Puffin don't do that.

Another irritating thing (with Safari) is its inability to play Flash videos. Puffin plays 'em nice.

I got me iOS 8.0.2.

P.S.
We're taking a long plane flight and I'd like to bring along a movie (or three) to watch on my 16GB iPad mini (with the retina thingy). Now, trying to stick movies on the iPad requires a curious ritual. (I did finally manage it with help from Infuse).

Aah, but I got me an $80 Android tablet with USB and an external 32GB SD memory card and I stuck on a dozen movies. Trivial.
So I leave my iPad at home. Sad.

Last edited:

Novakingwai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's a mite irritating (with Safari) is the appearance of the bookmarks when you rotate a web page to landscape. Puffin don't do that.

Another irritating thing (with Safari) is its inability to play Flash videos. Puffin plays 'em nice.

I got me iOS 8.0.2.

P.S.
We're taking a long plane flight and I'd like to bring along a movie (or three) to watch on my 16GB iPad mini (with the retina thingy). Now, trying to stick movies on the iPad requires a curious ritual. (I did finally manage it with help from Infuse).

Aah, but I got me an $80 Android tablet with USB and an external 32GB SD memory card and I stuck on a dozen movies. Trivial.
So I leave my iPad at home. Sad.
You know they sell wireless media streamers? They are about $50, and you can stick any USB stick or SD card into them and bring tons of movies with you and stream them to any WiFi device?

Novakingwai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WHOOEEE!!
Didn't know such animals existed. Now I'm browsing amazon, ebay, etc. etc,
Thanks for the heads up!!
Heh, where there's a will there's a way. ;) Glad I could help.
Make sure you thoroughly look into the options before buying. Some streamers can transmit to several devices at once. So everyone in the family can watch their own movie on their own device.

You can either buy a WiFi 500 GB harddrive (around $200) or a WiFi streamer that you provide your own USB stick or SD/microSD card (around $50, but remember these have no storage, you provide your own).

And some even come with ethernet WiFi sharing, so if you're in a hotel with only 1 ethernet plug you can create a wireless network.

pjPonzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.gummy-stuff.org
Heh, where there's a will there's a way. ;) Glad I could help.
This guy looks amazing!!
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00AQUMZRA/ref=ox_ya_os_product_refresh_T1
I stick in an SD card filled with great stuff and it becomes a WiFi hotspot.
With a 3000 mAh battery? Gotta be kidding, eh?

Can hardly wait to play.
smile-24.gif

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

[... snip to just focus on this...]

If you mean that your Safari screen looks like this in landscape:

nave6eju.jpg

Tap the blue book-like icon to make the bookmark bar on the side to go away:

na7y7e8u.jpg

If that's not what you mean, sorry for interrupting the conversation... :)

Marilyn

pjPonzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.gummy-stuff.org
[QUOTE="Tap the blue book-like icon to make the bookmark bar on the side to go away:

If that's not what you mean, sorry for interrupting the conversation... :)

Marilyn[/QUOTE]
Mamma mia!! That's EXACTLY what I mean!! Many thanks!!
I've spent the last few weeks (months?) discovering all the iPad info that's available in the Net.
I've stuck it all on my website. (I'm not allowed to display the URL here, but it's in my profile.)
Now I got me a NEW trick!!
(My wife thanks you. My sister-in-law thanks you. My neighbour thanks you.)
smile-26.gif

safari.jpg

Last edited:

nannahannah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This guy looks amazing!!
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00AQUMZRA/ref=ox_ya_os_product_refresh_T1
I stick in an SD card filled with great stuff and it becomes a WiFi hotspot.
With a 3000 mAh battery? Gotta be kidding, eh?

Can hardly wait to play.
smile-24.gif
Where did you get the animated emogi? I had it once but when i changed phones ( iPhone 4 to 5c) I couldn't find it. I looked in my purchased for my iPhone and my iPad and also in the app store and no luck. I hope you can tell me where to find it as I really liked the app.

pjPonzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.gummy-stuff.org
Where did you get the animated emogi? I had it once but when i changed phones ( iPhone 4 to 5c) I couldn't find it. I looked in my purchased for my iPhone and my iPad and also in the app store and no luck. I hope you can tell me where to find it as I really liked the app.

Uh ... I can't remember where I found the animated smilies (smileys?).
However, I stuck a bunch on my website so you can just use/download them.

Alas, this forum don't hardly let me give the URL, but maybe they'll accept this URL image:
EDITED

smile-11.gif

Moderation notice: This post has been edited by the iPadForums staff in accordance with the Forum Rules.
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html
No External Links

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Latest posts