What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Culture Shock

navigator123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All
I was finally seduced by the Apple hype & just got my first Apple product, a 64GB Wi-fi only. I'd have liked the 3G, but service isn't available Downunder, where I'm from.

I'm from the open source community and am going through HUGE culture shock! I like my HTC Hero android phone, and my computers run Ubuntu. I've never read so many oppressive contracts in 2 days!!! It turns out that I can reject the iPad license and return my iPad for a refund at their discretion within 14 days. Too bad
the iPad took more than 7 days to arrive. And it turns out that it shouldn't have been exported - so the Apple Store could just say "no" and I'd have to pay a 3rd shipping bill.

So, I'm starting out as an Apple outlaw. All because I'm happy to pay for media content. This isn't a good start, and I'm going to need lots of help.
Cheers

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Welcome!
Sorry your mindset is limiting your enjoyment of a great product. With your level of paranoia I really don't understand why you would buy one in the first place....

Perhaps a way will work out for you to return it....good luck!

OP
N

navigator123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
its a whole new ball game

It's good for the mind to change OS every so often. It's more the legal agreements that are standing in the way of my enjoyment!

Apparently, I can't legally use the thing at all! I'll just have to adjust to my new identity of outlaw and merrily click "I agree" without reading any license agreements in future.

crawdad62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome!
Sorry your mindset is limiting your enjoyment of a great product. With your level of paranoia I really don't understand why you would buy one in the first place....

I kind of agree. If I were so enamored with the open source movement I don't think I'd be into buying an Apple product let alone one like the iPad.

I'll just have to adjust to my new identity of outlaw and merrily click "I agree" without reading any license agreements in future.

I thought that's what everyone does. I've never read through a EULA in my life. I might skim through it but read it completely? Nope.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
It's good for the mind to change OS every so often. It's more the legal agreements that are standing in the way of my enjoyment!

Apparently, I can't legally use the thing at all! I'll just have to adjust to my new identity of outlaw and merrily click "I agree" without reading any license agreements in future.

Yes of course, click but don't read. That is what everyone does, and is one of the reasons why the "legal agreements" are meaningless and never enforced. Everyone is an "outlaw" to those things..... All user agreement are silly and pointless and everyone knows it. I hacked my iPhone, remove drm from ebooks, take the tags off mattresses.... Etc...... You are nothing special, we are all "outlaws". Get over yourself and enjoy yourself..... Dig in and have fun!

Most reactions

Latest posts