What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iDisappointed - iPad just stopped working

iDisappointed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New to this site. Didn't know where else to turn to try and troubleshoot my iPad problem. Hope someone out there can help. Received the original iPad in December 2010 for birthday from my husband. Bought the 32G so it was around $700, but did not buy the extended warranty. This is our 5th Apple product and we have never had any problems, so we thought we'd be throwing money away. 111 days after the manufacturers 1 yr. warranty, the iPad became unresponsive. Took it to the Apple store, they reset it (lost everything!), then it started popping some pixels of stuff and stopped working again. Said it was for sure a hardware issue but that we were out of luck because we were 111 days over. It would cost us $350 for a new one. I left in tears...and in shock just last week! Now I'm sitting on an unusable iPad and I'm trying to figure out how after spending $700 could I just be out of an iPad now? Any thoughts on how I can get this replaced without it costing me another $350?

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello & welcome to the forum! :)

Please accept my condolences for your problem (has happen to me w/ other electronic devices - and I usually do not like extended warranty plans, either) - I'm assuming that for $350, Apple is offering you a 'refurbished' iPad 1? Check HERE for Apple's pricing on their first two generation iPads, i.e. seems like the going price from them for the original iPad.

For me and if I were willing to spend the extra $$, an iPad 3 (just for the sake of understanding) would probably be a better option - not sure if your iPad had been routinely synced w/ iTunes on your computer but some of that information might be retrieved? Hopefully others will 'chime in' w/ more specific advice and personal experiences - good luck!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there-yes, as Giradman said, it would be important to know if you had maintained the updates on your iPad. The big update in October updated the iPads to iOS 5. Not sure if you had or had not done the update, but a lot of the apps also updated in order to work with the current OS. A little more info would be good, however, may be worth considering the purchase of an iPad 2 or the current iPad that was just released.

Most reactions

Latest posts