What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Bluetooth Keyboard MC184LL/B Issues

Insomnia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's a new keyboard in town and it's replacing the original MC184LL/A Bluetooth Keyboard. According to Apple the differences are subtle being slightly tweaked to accommodate OS Lion on Mac. According to Apple, the only changes should have been the F3 and F4 keys (icons) for Mission control and some other feature I can't remember at the moment. However when it comes to ipad compatibility, the differences don't stop there. F3 and F4 on both the original /A and the newer /B model are not supported on ios, therefore there should be no difference between the two, but for some reason nobody really understands at this point, in the /B version (Apple is phasing out the /A) none of the F keys work such as Volume, Brightness and ipod controls. I've been in touch with Apple and they are unaware of this problem and have no answers as to why these features are not working in the /B version of the Bluetooth keyboard. So, for the time being Beware of the /B version if you're purchasing it for use with ios. While the standard keys work and typing is possible, those extra keys are not working on the /B version. If you can find the /A, grab one because it's unknown when, or even if those keys will be fixed in the /B iteration of the keyboard.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting. If true this might explain a thread earlier this week in which a poster asked why the volume keys were not working on his/her Apple Wireless Keyboard. As I recall, the responses were along the lines of (a) reboot, (b) we don't believe you, and (c) take it back to the store.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That makes no sense to me at all, the keyboard does nothing in that it doesn't process anything, the keys are mapped in the host computers software. If they were hardwired incorrectly then they wouldn't work on any computer, it couldn't be an iPad only issue........saying that I have a horrendous headache so maybe I'm not thinking correctly!

The Archangel

gores95

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was the one having issues with those keys on my AWK and ipad2. How does one tell the difference between the /A and /B versions?

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was the one having issues with those keys on my AWK and ipad2. How does one tell the difference between the /A and /B versions?

Glad you found the thread. Just guessing and someone else can probably provide better information but I'd suggest checking your box. Unfortunately, I just tossed mine a couple of days ago.

P.S. Just did a google search and found some other folks with the same problem with the /B version running earlier versions of the Mac OS. The indication is that the /B designation is on the box.

Last edited:

gores95

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
Glad you found the thread. Just guessing and someone else can probably provide better information but I'd suggest checking your box. Unfortunately, I just tossed mine a couple of days ago.

P.S. Just did a google search and found some other folks with the same problem with the /B version running earlier versions of the Mac OS. The indication is that the /B designation is on the box.

I just checked my box and sure enough I have the /B version. I guess I am going to bring it back to the Apple store to see if they have any /A versions. I will let you know how I do! Thanks.

Attachments

• image-3123326534.png
    image-3123326534.png
    468.1 KB · Views: 929
Last edited:
OP
I

Insomnia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That makes no sense to me at all, the keyboard does nothing in that it doesn't process anything, the keys are mapped in the host computers software. If they were hardwired incorrectly then they wouldn't work on any computer, it couldn't be an iPad only issue........saying that I have a horrendous headache so maybe I'm not thinking correctly!

The Archangel

You're absolutely right, in theory, the only difference between the two iterations of the keyboard should have been the key icons. Everything else should have taken place in the OS. The real issue here is how Apple is going to correct this problem as obviously they did something more than a simple icon switch. Experience dictates that they will eventually identify the cause of the problem and correct it with a firmware update. For those of us with jail broken iPad 2's this is not a solution as a firmware update for us at this point is out of the question for obvious reasons. Best buy still has some /A's, $71.99; ironically $2 more than the $69.99 /B model. Amazon still has them @ $69.99.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If anyone's looking for an A model, there were plenty when I bought mine about two weeks ago at Best Buy. I paid $69.99 for mine. YMMV at your Best Buy.

The model number is shown on the sticker that also shows the UPC code.

gores95

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
If anyone's looking for an A model, there were plenty when I bought mine about two weeks ago at Best Buy. I paid $69.99 for mine. YMMV at your Best Buy.

The model number is shown on the sticker that also shows the UPC code.

Has anyone seen the /A model at the Apple Store?

gores95

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK so I took my /B keyboard back to the Apple Store and they did not have any /A ones available. They took the return no problem. I then went over to Best Buy and they had about a dozen /B but did have two /A models. I grabbed the /A model and am typing this message on that one.

The good news is the volume and brightness controls do work on the /A model keyboard. Also you can do command x, c and v (cut, copy and paste) just like on a windows keyboard. The pause/play forward and backward keys also work with Ipod songs and Pandora. I think there are other key benefits but not sure at this point.

One negative I noticed is that hitting the spacebar twice does not produce a period like on the other keyboard. Not that big of a deal but surprised it doesn't. Anyone else notice this?

Bottom line the /A just works better with the Ipad. Thanks to all for the suggestions!

Marc

Last edited:

Questionaire31

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The Archangel

Actually it is not an iPad only issue. I have tried using the B keyboard with my iTouch 4th generation version 4.1 and none of the f1-f12 keys work either. I'm suspecting it is the B-keyboards problem. A keyboard is definitely compatible in allowing you to use the full capacity of the wireless keyboard you paid for.

cayleg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys i have a ipad 2 4.3.3 and could not get keyboard to work(was b model wireless bluetooth keyboard
even paid for bt stack keyboard and no luck.
i tried 2 brand-new ones and nothing
so looked on craigslist and found A model and right away screen brightness and volume and play and pause worked
fine even unlock !! from keyboard
a model has different button layout then b model and i think theres no b model
drivers for ipad yet so possibly os 5 if they remember to add it
-i could not wait so i returned b model for a model
and im happy!
hope this solves the question if apple wireless bluetooth keyboard is compatible with ipad 2
P.S I also tried hip street mini bluetooth keyboard as well and brightness and volume worked too
and this is about using hot keys on ipad- regular typing always worked fine
peace!

Questionaire31

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've also purchased a model A keyboard and it works great with my ipad. I bought this at bestbuy.

Most reactions

Latest posts