What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Announces New iPad Complete With Retina Display

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]
iPad_3_launched.JPG

Apple has today launched its new iPad in San Francisco, and we’ve got all the details for you here, hot off the press, courtesy of Engadget’s live blog. First of all, the new iPad will have a Retina Display, with a resolution of 2048x1536 ,or 3.1 million pixels, “the most ever in a mobile device.†It will have 40% better colour saturation. The new processor will be a quad-core A5X processor, which Apple says will have four times the performance of a Tegra 3. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]As far as the camera goes, the iSight rear camera will be a 5-megapixel, backside illuminated sensor model with a 5-element lens, IR filter, and ISP built into the A5X chip. Basically this is the same set up as the iPhone 4S.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The new iPad will also have 1080p video recording, complete with software stabilization. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The next new feature for the iPad is voice dictation, with the iPad’s keyboard now having a microphone added to it. It supports US English, British, Australian, French and Japanese. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Now onto LTE, which the new iPad will most definitely have, at 73Mbps. Verizon, Rogers, Bell, Telus and AT&T will all be Apple’s LTE partners for the new iPad.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]You will also now be able to use your iPad as a personal Wi-Fi hotspot, carrier permitting. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The new iPad is slightly heavier than the iPad 2, coming in at 1.4lbs.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]It will have a battery life of 10 hours, same as the iPad 2. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The new iPad will cost exactly the same as the old iPad, but the LTE versions will cost $629 for the 16GB version, $729 for the 32GB version, and $829 for the 64GB version. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]It will be released on March 16, and is available to pre-order starting from now, in 10 countries, including the US, Canada, UK, France, Germany, Switzerland and Japan, marking Apple’s biggest roll-out ever. It will roll out to many more countries on March 23.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Source: Apple next-generation iPad liveblog! -- Engadget[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like it's pretty much what we expected. The name is my main disappointment :) I wish they would have chosen something new, because I can already see the confusion it's going to lead to just here in the forums alone ;)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JohnnyApple said:
Sounds like it's pretty much what we expected. The name is my main disappointment :) I wish they would have chosen something new, because I can already see the confusion it's going to lead to just here in the forums alone ;)

I agree, I was convinced they were going to call the new one GabrielsiPad.......

The Archangel

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
S******! You are the joker of the pack, my friend!

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The big downside for me is the lack of unlimited data plans for 4G. Sure, I'll be able to stream my (already purchased) video content from the cloud, but I'll pay dearly for the privilege. Until reasonably price unlimited data is a reality, more storage space would do more for me than cloud-based content.

kenmla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My main disappointment is no 128 Gig. When will they up the memory? I'm out of room on my 64.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kenmla said:
My main disappointment is no 128 Gig. When will they up the memory? I'm out of room on my 64.

Wow!!! I can't imagine using my whole Padi. I just bought a Seagate satellite though!!!

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dissapointed..good i decided to keep my ipad 2 rather than selling it..will get the next QUAD CORE ipad :) (hopefully with a redesign too)

Sent from my iPad 2 white 64 gb (ios 5.0.1) using iPF

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iRuthlessPad said:
Dissapointed..good i decided to keep my ipad 2 rather than selling it..will get the next QUAD CORE ipad :) (hopefully with a redesign too)

And what use would a quad core CPU be?

The user can only interact with one application at a time. So you need one core for that. All background tasks are non-visual. So one core is over-kill for that.

So all cores 3 and 4 would do is waste battery. That doesn't seem like something Apple would want to do.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And what use would a quad core CPU be?

The user can only interact with one application at a time. So you need one core for that. All background tasks are non-visual. So one core is over-kill for that.

So all cores 3 and 4 would do is waste battery. That doesn't seem like something Apple would want to do.

The biggest win is in graphics processing, where the processing tasks are divided an executed simultaneously, resulting in extremely fast image rendering.

This is where the multi core processors shine.

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes and graphics processing is used multiple softwares and not just GAMES...so imagine the speed with which a QUAD core will do so on ipad...would love to play UNCHARTED or FALLOUT someday on ipad :p though i know it wud never happen. You got to admit this is an even more stupid Upgrade than the 4S by APPLE..All they are doing is minting money coz they know its gonna sell anyway! :/

Most reactions

Latest posts