What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App with locked folders

tshawthorne1213

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Re there any note taking apps that require a password to open the folder? I am a teacher and have a classroom set of iPads that I want my students to use for almost everything, but obviously can't afford them seeing work from a previous class. Any suggestions in general for this (maybe how to have multiple accounts)? I have emailed the developer of Notetaker and he had said it was worth looking into but I have not heard back from him in a couple of months now. Any help would be appreciated.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, and welcome to the forum. Good to "see" you and hope you enjoy your visit(s).

To save me some typing, let me cut-n-paste something I wrote the other day:

Well, the app Noteshelf ($4.99, USD) was just updated. Now, you can take notes using your handwriting or typing. And, a brand new feature - it has is the ability to individually lock each/any notebook you create. So, you can set a passcode, or not, for any notes you take. See if that'll do you...

Maybe this will work for you? Disclaimer: I have it and it's one of my favorite note-taking apps. And now, with the ability to type in text versus just writing with a finger/stylus - it's awesome. But, I am sure there are others out there. YMMV.

Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
tshawthorne1213

tshawthorne1213

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It does, thank you so much! I hadn't heard of it before. Does it annotate PDFs? That is something I really use often as well in the class. I don't see anything about it in the description but I'm definitely going to try to Incorporate this.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, you can use PDFs, but it's a bit of a kludge. The app is not really designed to annotate PDFs, but what you can do is create a custom page/background of your PDF(s) and then use them in the notebook. I've attached a picture from NoteShelf's user guide that describes this:

CreatePaper.jpg

As you can see, it's an involved process, but if you use PDFs as a template, to write and re-write, on them, maybe you can do this. Again, NoteShelf isn't really designed to annotate PDFs.

There are others that do though - Goodreader ($4.99, USD) does. Plus, Goodreader also lets you lock documents/folders too, now that I think of it. So, maybe take a look at Goodreader - versus (or plus) NoteShelf.

Marilyn

OP
tshawthorne1213

tshawthorne1213

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you again!! Really need ease being I'm teaching high schoolers to use these too. But I Really like the look of Noteshelf so maybe I can work this out and use it some as well. I hadn't heard of it previously and it looks very user friendly.

Most reactions

Latest posts