What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App shuts down when launched

inzanemedia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I download 'PSD viewer' for accessing photoshop files on ipad2', when it was installing it showed up as an icon for an app i had previously deleted from my iPad, which was weird.
I read a load of troubleshooting advice, removed it reinstalled it etc, none of it seemed to work at all, the app still won't launch.
I really want this app to work, can anybody help?
Thank you.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

First off I'm wondering if you have upgraded your iPad to OS 5.1 and then if this app has been upgraded to run on this operating version also. Whenever a new upgrade is released for the iPad, most apps need to be upgraded also to take the changes into account.

When an app behaves strangely it is best to close it completely and then relaunch it. From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time. Long press the app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus sign, this will close the app, not delete it, now press the home button to return to your screen. It's also a good idea to close all these apps, as it helps the iPad run smoothly. See if it is now working if not a restart is the next step

Press and hold the power off button, the one at the top right. You will see a slide appear to power off, slide this and the screen will go dark and a Whirly will appear. When the Whirly disappears your iPad is now off. Press the power button again until the Apple logo appears, this will take a few seconds and your iPad will restart. You should restart your iPad occasionally also as it will keep it running well. Now see if it is operating. If not a reset is in order.

Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start. Let us know how you go.

OP
inzanemedia

inzanemedia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the advice I am new to apple products. I did what you advised, Although I found out out that this particular app was the problem, apparently they have updated their software for os 5.1 and already submitted it to apple, just waiting for them release it in the store.

Many thanks

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
inzanemedia said:
Hey thanks for the advice I am new to apple products. I did what you advised, Although I found out out that this particular app was the problem, apparently they have updated their software for os 5.1 and already submitted it to apple, just waiting for them release it in the store.

Many thanks

I did think that this may have been the problem, and always happens when a new upgrade is released. Glad you were able to find out. The other info may come in handy for you too in future. I hope you don't have too long to wait for your app. Enjoy!

JezJezJez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find that certain apps don't like working with others. I'm always trying out new photo apps and find that if I have certain ones open at the same time I can have problems. It's like they don't like to coexist!

OP
inzanemedia

inzanemedia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, yes I have other problems with apps, i downloaded a book app, I then decided to delete it, because it wasn't what I wanted.
I thought that was the end of it.
But now sometimes when I install a new app the icon for this particular book app pops up as if the book app is downloading again, or the book app will suddenly display as well as the new apps icon. Where is the book app coming from, i deleted it. Very odd I wonder if there is an underline problem with settings or something but there isn't that much to tweak on an iPad as far as I can make out.
Many thanks

Most reactions

Latest posts