What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App greyed out and says "waiting"

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A friend of mine has an ipad with the app "facebook" and it is greyout and below the icon it says "waiting". This has been on for a few days now. We did a reboot several times and closed all the apps that may have been running in the background but nothing helped so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated - Thank you

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, firstly, the last FB update is a complete failure and does not install properly, saying that it cannot be downloaded now, no doubts, the thousands of 1 star ratings the app got yesterday itself. I am again downloading the app today and will notify whether it was successful or not. You have 2 options to remove the waiting thing:

1. Turn off your wifi connection and ensure that cellular data is turned off. A message pops up saying lack of internet connection, and the waiting disappears, and instead 'facebook' appears, but with the sign greyed out. Long tap on it and the. Delete it. Then reinstall it again. This is what i am doing.

2. Ensure that there is no problem with internet connection, like slow internet.

Hope this helps.

OP
mwhoody

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks - I'll try that. I won't know till tomorrow when I see my friend - hopefully that will work. Thanks again

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A few other things to try:

Go to Settings - General - Usage - Storage, and delete the app from there. Then open App Store - Purchased, and install the app again.

In App Store - Featured, scroll down to the Apple ID, tap it and sign out. Sign in again with your friend's existing Apple ID.

Update the app through iTunes (computer), then sync the iPad to it.

fruitgum55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello
I had the SAMs problem yesterday , resolved it by going into apps updates and tapped on the frozen upgrade button until upgrade sign re- appeared , hey presto facebook up and working again.

Fruitgum

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do you have other apps downloading, or movies, podcats, and other things from iTunes you bought? It may have caused the delay.

OP
mwhoody

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys. Unfortunately I'm not able to get to my friends ipad today. I sent her all your info but not sure if she'll be able to do that herself. I'll try and get to her the next day. Thanks again. Oh, and no, she don't have anymore apps downloading.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys. Unfortunately I'm not able to get to my friends ipad today. I sent her all your info but not sure if she'll be able to do that herself. I'll try and get to her the next day. Thanks again. Oh, and no, she don't have anymore apps downloading.
Even from iTunes? OK try deleting the app and redownloading t again

OP
mwhoody

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just want to say thank you to for your time and suggestions - The "waiting" problem has been solved, thanks to you guys.
I tried to delete the app by holding down on the icon until they all started shaking. They all had delete options except the one I wanted to delete (facebook)
I had to go to Settings - General - Usage - Storage, and delete the app from there.
Then I reloaded the app - and made my friend very happy. Again thanks to you guys
Thank you

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just want to say thank you to for your time and suggestions - The "waiting" problem has been solved, thanks to you guys.
I tried to delete the app by holding down on the icon until they all started shaking. They all had delete options except the one I wanted to delete (facebook)
I had to go to Settings - General - Usage - Storage, and delete the app from there.
Then I reloaded the app - and made my friend very happy. Again thanks to you guys
Thank you

We are glad help.

Most reactions

Latest posts