What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

remove persistently reappearing app

mobile

iPF Noob
Reaction score
not technical enough to know whether this is a problem with the app or whether this is an ipad/ itunes issue. would appreciate any advice.
downloaded app has been working fine until latest update.
update is 20mg+ so will not download over air.
however this action greys out the icon and shows it as "paused".
update then done via linking ipad to laptop.
this now leaves 2 icons of the same app. one clear and one greyed out(paused).
clear icon works fine for awhile, then I go to use ipad again later and clear icon has disappeared and am left with with the greyed out one.
have completely reset ipad (several times ) and reloaded the app.
again now working fine. however later same problem occurs.
emailed app's support but have received no reply after 4 days.
finally reset ipad again, but unchecked app in library so it will not reload.
thought had problem solved as now had no icon for this app.
again the greyed out(paused) icon has reappeared.
is this persistence to do with the app or with itunes?
ipad 1 vers 4.3.3
app is mercury browser pro
regards alan

Attachments

• mercury.jpg
    mercury.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 361

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
[Potentially dumb question alert]

In iTunes, when you hover your mouse over the greyed out one, do you get an "X" where you could just delete it?

[/Alert]

A lot of people seem to have problems with apps getting "hung up." I got no solutions, sorry, but how about some suggestions?

Try whatever you did that got the greyed icon off your iPad. Then reboot it - the full one where you hold the sleep and home buttons down until the screen goes black for a bit and then the white apple icon appears.

Then, without plugging the iPad into iTunes, go to iTunes and delete any/all references to that app. When asked, select to put the app into the Recycle bin. You so don't want it (in fact, I'd go to the Trash and delete that!). Then, reboot your PC/Mac.

Once the PC's started back up, go back to the store and download that app again. Then, hook up your iPad. Do a right click on the iPad line (LH side) and select "transfer purchases." Then, do a backup.

After all that, find the app in iTunes and drag it to the iPad screen you want. Then, click on the apply (or sync) button in the bottom RH of iTunes.

That's all I got. I've never experienced this, but this is what I would do if I did.

Sorry not more help, but maybe it'll help? Let us know...

Marilyn

OP
M

mobile

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1)can click and drag grey icon, but no x
2)using wrong term
not reset, but restore to factory setting and then reload.

I think I have finally got rid of the grey icon.
first tried remove and recycle app from itunes and then factory restore and reload. grey icon still reappeared.
then noticed although no updates showing on app store icon, when I used it to connect there was still a screenshot information about the update although there was no update button. cleared this and again restore / reload.

I suspect that with my ipad set for check for updates that this was somehow reconnecting.
Think this all started to happen because of itunes 20 mg limit on direct to ipad download. it really shouldn't start download if it won't complete.
Taking no chances . Now using different browser and will always check size of update instead of automatic download.
Many thanks for your ideas / suggestions.
regards alan

Most reactions

Latest posts