What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyway to delete a photo album Folder?

rgphotoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a wildlife and nature photographer. After a day in the field when I return to my motel room I Import the low res image files (jpeg) into my iPad 3 via the Apple SD card reader for review. That could be any where from 200 to 800 images. That part of the process goes smoothly. However, what is a real pain is having to individually tag each file and then delete them. Is there any iPad technique or procedure that would allow that or better yet to select the folder and delete it and all the images it contains? Right now it is time consuming. Thanks for any suggestions or help.

City

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't think you can delete a whole folder that was built into the iPad. I could be wrong, though.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The only trick I know is this.

Tap (with two fingers) and hold for about half a second on one thumbnail, then swipe across the rest (while in edit mode). This will select all the icons swiped. Works pretty good for quickly selecting a row of icons, but has a tendency to scroll the screen when you try to select them vertically.

It's (slightly) faster than tapping each icon individually.

The only albums you can delete directly in Photos are those you create in Photos (not including the imported albums or the camera roll).

Edit: I just reread this and realized I messed up. The instructions should've been to tap with two fingers and then drag. Sorry about that, but the 0P seems seems to have figured it out on his own, thank goodness. I fixed it in the text above.

Last edited:

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Deleting an album is easy try this: create new album and call it test for example , copy one photo in there, go up one level to the main album page so you can see all albums , hit edit click the X on the left corner of the album to delete ie : test
That's it....

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1340344295.263676.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1340344295.263676.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 536

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Further you cannot delete an album that is set to synch to iTunes, you can only remove within iTunes.

OP
R

rgphotoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the great inputs. I did find an alternate, though not ideal, solution to my need which is to batch select photos and delete them. The method only allows me to do one screen at a time, but that is far better than tapping each image one by one and then deleting. The good news is that once the folder (Last Import or All Imported) is empty it disappears from iPhoto (iPad 3). What I do is go into the album and click on the arrow to put it into edit mode and then I tap on an image with two (2) fingers and without letting go I slide them from one image to another until I have the whole screen/page selected and then I tap on delete and voila they get deleted. Ultimately, I hope Apple will someday lighten up and transfer such simple and necessary file maintenance operations like this to the user.

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rgphotoman said:
Thanks for the great inputs. I did find an alternate, though not ideal, solution to my need which is to batch select photos and delete them. The method only allows me to do one screen at a time, but that is far better than tapping each image one by one and then deleting. The good news is that once the folder (Last Import or All Imported) is empty it disappears from iPhoto (iPad 3). What I do is go into the album and click on the arrow to put it into edit mode and then I tap on an image with two (2) fingers and without letting go I slide them from one image to another until I have the whole screen/page selected and then I tap on delete and voila they get deleted. Ultimately, I hope Apple will someday lighten up and transfer such simple and necessary file maintenance operations like this to the user.

Ahh, you didn't mention you were using iPhoto , anyhow the album management is still within the default ipad photo app.

kevinhunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to jump on to this thread guys buy my question is about iPhoto for the iPad. Is there any way to import and also export your photos (taken on a 16mp digital camera) . I think I am importing at full resolution but whenever i edit they are dropping down in resolution!? Kev :/

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sorry to jump on to this thread guys buy my question is about iPhoto for the iPad. Is there any way to import and also export your photos (taken on a 16mp digital camera) . I think I am importing at full resolution but whenever i edit they are dropping down in resolution!? Kev :/

Are you using Photo Stream anywhere in the process? It has a max resolution of 2048 x 1536.

kevinhunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No not all the time at least. I can import straight from digital camera with a connection thing and edit and when I export ( email) they drop to the resolution you mentioned... It's a great app but useless really if it's always going to lower resolution? :/

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
How do you export?

Save it back to the Photos app, and do what you usually do to export form there (but not Photo Stream).
I connect to the computer and use Aperture. You can also use iPhoto (OS X) and the systems Image Capture software. On Windows you can access the Camera Roll as a USB Drive, or many of the programs will detect and open your iPad as if it were a camera.

But you probably knew all that.

kevinhunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. So far I've been emailing them to myself. Tried to get aperture today but would need to upgrade os from snow leopard to Linton or whatever the new one is called and not so sure about that. Would you recommend aperture? Ps how do you delete the photos you have edited iPhoto on theipad. Seems to be 'locked'? Thanks for you help :)

Most reactions

Latest posts