What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone here with poor eye sight?

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I want to get my mother an ipad however after a stroke she had her eye sight is pretty bad, she functions normally in every way but seeing her PC screen is very difficult for her even with the screen zoomed in-I'm not sure if the ipad would be any better? I live too far away to have her use my ipad to test it out. Thank you

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gresh---in my work environment, we see many patients with Neuro related conditions including strokes. We have iPads on hand at our Neuro clinics which we use during our treatment with them. If they have an e-reader or an iPad at home, we encourage them to use it by increasing the letters to make it easier for them to read it. Most recently, I had a family member who suffered a stroke leaving visual impairment with reading. During her recovery, it was encouraged that she use the iPad to work on reading, task management, simple math calculations etc.

Increasing the letter size also helps with linear visual tracking and gaze stabilization. This makes it easier for be to read and not make the letters all come together so.

So, to answer your question...from a clinical perspective-the iPad would be useful.

Also...I just deleted your other post as it was a duplicate of this one. Please do not do this since it makes it hard for other members to read and help you of there are multiple threads of the same topic present. It is also against forum rules.

You only posted this 2 days ago...so please give us time.

Thanks,
Ski ~ iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

LadySelene

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My eye site is not all that great, I have a very difficult time reading, I set my iPad & iPhone to read to me. This helps me a great deal. I
Simply plug in my head sets and relax, or do dishes, while enjoying a book or taking a lesson.

caningit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not sure the Ipad is her answer. There are many programs on the PC that work best. Like zoo text and Jaws. These only work on the PC. She would have to use VoiceOver on the IPad in order for it to read to her. It is best to use both reading and listening especially when she needs to comprehend things, if she is still able to read the print.
Good luck

Splawkin19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Voiceover works very well on the iPad. I think sheee would do well with it. I am visually impaired and have worked with other blind users of iPhones, iPads, and iPod touches, and have been able to help them out. Any more questions? You can ask in this discussion, or maybe message me personally.

Most reactions

Latest posts