What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 won't start properly

tracey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My sister has purchased an iPad 2.
However she isn't very technical and is having problems.
Basically she tells me she switches it on and it is stuck on the screen asking to confirm iTunes is working and it is connected to a USB port.

Not having an iPad and living far away from her I am unsure what she can do.
I have asked her the obvious things e.g. that the battery is charged but I am not sure what to suggest.

I would have thought she should have been able to turn it on and for it to show the 'windows' type screen complete with relevant icons but no.

She has WiFi at home but I am not sure it is connecting to that or what to do.

Any advice appreciated.
Many thanks.

OP
T

tracey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
She bought it from Argos (lucky so and so simply ordered it online and so must have been very lucky to find a 2 minute slot when they had stock).
Because it was argos there is no point going into the shop to ask.
She did try Currys (the shop) but they didn't have any in stock, so she couldn't get a demo.

tonyvilla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know this Sounds Silly but has she connected the Ipad via USB to Her Computer and Registered the Ipad with ITunes. That is the First thing you have to do.

OP
T

tracey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know this Sounds Silly but has she connected the Ipad via USB to Her Computer and Registered the Ipad with ITunes. That is the First thing you have to do.
#
Doesn't sound silly at all tonyvilla, thanks.

I suspect that could be exactly what she hasn't done. I had assumed she would follow all 'simple' on-screen instructions but maybe not. Are the registration to iTunes screens simple as I can't think why she wouldn't have done that.

Can you explain how it works though. Why would she need to connect it to the computer? Is it assumed that all iPad owners have computers (which she does)?
I would have thought it would have searched for WiFi and allowed registration from the iPad and so she wouldn't need the computer. But maybe not?

tonyvilla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Firstly has she had a Apple product before that uses itunes. If Not then you will need to download itunes.

When you first turn the ipad on a Screen will appear that shows a USB cable and that it needs to connect to Itunes.

When you connect your ipad to Itunes for the First time it will ask you to go through some Registration Process and you wiull probably have to Set up an Itunes account if you haven't already got One(This allows you to to buy apps and Music Etc). Its pretty easy to do just really follow the On screen instructions.

When all is completed your Ipad will re boot and should then work properly.

If you have any opther problems just ask

OP
T

tracey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Firstly has she had a Apple product before that uses itunes. If Not then you will need to download itunes.

When you first turn the ipad on a Screen will appear that shows a USB cable and that it needs to connect to Itunes.

When you connect your ipad to Itunes for the First time it will ask you to go through some Registration Process and you wiull probably have to Set up an Itunes account if you haven't already got One(This allows to to buy apps and Music Etc). Itpretty easy to do just really follow the On screen instructions.
When all is completed you Ipad will re boot and should then work properly
Excellent thanks tonyvilla. I will pass on your comments and hopefully she will get hers working tonight.

OP
T

tracey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My sister says: "How do register? It didn't give me any options"

tonyvilla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has she Set up an Account on Itunes yet on Her Computer. If not then she needs to or has she already got Itunes all set up.

Lets start there first then well take it from there

OP
T

tracey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has she Set up an Account on Itunes yet on Her Computer. If not then she needs to or has she already got Itunes all set up.
I have passed your comment on as I suspect she hasn't.
Mind you I am confused as I didn't think you needed a computer and the ipad would connect through and be able to register without it.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I suspect I will be back with questions as soon as she tries to register :eek:

tonyvilla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Below is a More Detailed process of setting you your ipad for the First Time. This was for the Ipad 1 But i assume that it would be excatly the same process. If you follow the Below you shoulnd't go wrong

1. If you have not already updated to the newest version of iTunes, you'll want to do that now. After launching iTunes, choose Check for Updates from the Help menu. This will guide you through installing the update. (There's no need to install Safari 4 or MobileMe, so feel free to uncheck those options.)
  2. Plug the iPad into your computer using the white cable that came with the device. The cable connects from the bottom of the iPad to the USB port on your computer.
  3. Once connected, iTunes should start automatically, though there may be some delay as your computer loads drivers for the iPad. If iTunes does not load, go ahead and launch it manually.
  4. Normally, plugging the iPad into the computer starts a sync process with iTunes, but because this is the first time the iPad has been plugged into the computer, iTunes will guide you through setting up the iPad for use. The following few steps will deal with setting up the iPad for use.
  5. The first thing you will need to do is agree to the terms of usage.
  6. Next, you will login with your Apple ID to register the iPad. IF you don't have an Apple ID, you will be able to create one here. This account will control all of your purchases on your iPad, and because it is tied to these purchases, you will be prompted for your password any time you install software on your iPad through the app store. So make sure you don't forget your password!
  7. If you already had an account, you will be asked to verify your information. Be sure to uncheck the option for receiving email with news and offers if you don't want those filling up your inbox.
  8. The next screen will ask if you want to install a free trial of MobileMe, which is a subscription service with tools like extra storage, mail, an address book and calender among other things. Unless you are already set up with it, you should decline and decide on whether or not it is worth it later. You might find the apps you install on your iPad are enough.
  9. The next step is syncing your iPad with iTunes. If you already have music or movies downloaded in iTunes, you can select for iTunes to sync it on your iPad.
  10. Syncing the iPad is the last step to setting it up, but you still have a few things to do in order to complete the process. Before getting started on these last steps, unplug the iPad from the computer.
  11. Open the App Store by touching the icon on the iPad. Once the application loads, you will be prompted to select your Wi-Fi network. Once you tap on your network, you will be asked for your password or WEP key if you have a protected network. This should be the last time you have to put in the password or WEP key.
  12. The last step is to make sure your iPad is set up with your Apple ID. You will need to enter your Apple password each time you install an app, though if you install two back-to-back it will remember. But once you have given the iPad your username, it will remember it from that point on. Let's knock out two birds with one stone by searching for "iBooks" and installing Apple's eBook reader.
  13. Once you have located the iBooks application in the search results, touch the "free" button. Notice that the button changes from "free" to "install". Touch the "install" button, and the app store will close while it downloads and installs iBooks.

tonyvilla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have passed your comment on as I suspect she hasn't.
Mind you I am confused as I didn't think you needed a computer and the ipad would connect through and be able to register without it.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I suspect I will be back with questions as soon as she tries to register :eek:

Yes you do have to Register though itunes through a PC or Mac. Only way im afraid

tonyvilla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If she is Still Struggling. What i suggest is Go onto youtube and Search for Starting my Ipad for the First time and Watch a Video of Someone doing it. It will give her a much better idea on what she is supposed to do.

OP
T

tracey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If she is Still Struggling. What i suggest is Go onto youtube and Search for Starting my Ipad for the First time and Watch a Video of Someone doing it. It will give her a much better idea on what she is supposed to do.
Thanks, I did suggest that and sent her a link to one or two. But I think the ones I quickly found were about 'what was in the box' rather than how to set it up. I said to her to search for others but I think at that time she had enough. She only got it yesterday so maybe today she will be successful and have more time.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tracy! You could also suggest, if possible, to have your sister take her iPad into Apple and they will set it up for her ~ that is if she is near a store.

Most reactions