What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone here not impressed by the new ipad 3 screen? Or not find it worth the upgrade

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I havent seen it yet but i need to see it in person if its actually that much better and worth the couple hundred to upgrade (from selling current ipad 2). The retina is the ONLY thing that interests me. That and if the new ipad has finally gotten rid of the ridiculous checkerboard effect that ipad 1 and 2s are plaqued for.

HappyPelican

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Coming from an original iPad, both the difference in speed and the screen is amazing. You really need to see it for yourself. I've noticed people with an iPad 2 aren't as quick to upgrade though.

schmidtj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you plan on using a screen protector. Save your money.
The Retina Display suffers greatly if put under a protector.
With my Otterbox Defender my NEW iPad display is indistinguishable
from my wife's iPad 1's display. :(

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It was totally worth it to me. Once you use the retina screen for a few days looking back at the ipad 2 screen is just like going from full 1080p high def to standard def television.

doc.zed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
no wasnt that impressed, yes i have 20/20 vision.. I remeber when plasma tv were over priced when they first came out feels the same way.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
no wasnt that impressed, yes i have 20/20 vision.. I remeber when plasma tv were over priced when they first came out feels the same way.

Yea but the new iPad is not over priced. Like we have talked about in other posts, it is all well in good if people do not feel the need to upgrade or do not have the money to but what would you consider to be an impressive screen given that the retina display is a good as it gets considering technology and keeping the cost what it is?

Last edited:

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also came fron ipad 1st gen, there is a BIG difference in screens!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm impressed with it but it's not enough to make me want to upgrade. My iPad 2 is working great and meeting my expectations. Besides, the screen is the major piece of the upgrade thats tangible. Performance wise, I have no issues with games or apps so that doesn't matter. I don't take pictures with it either and the 720p video quality is excellent as is. 4G, 3G, 20G..... I couldn't care less about that either.

That's my take on it.

milkmilklemonade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you plan on using a screen protector. Save your money.
The Retina Display suffers greatly if put under a protector.
With my Otterbox Defender my NEW iPad display is indistinguishable
from my wife's iPad 1's display. :(

Because you didn't get a protector made for the new screen. The zagg HD one works great on mine after settling in, feels better than normal plasticky ones, and looks sharp as well. I think I've read reviews on the otterbox were people we're ripping out the installed one and using a third party one.

Anyway - the screen quality is something you don't appreciate until you spend time with it, and then go back to previous models.

The iPad 2 doesn't look blurry side by side initially, but use the iPad three, then go back to it, and you notice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tritium

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This will help you see the huge screen difference...go to the nytimes website on both an ipad 2 and a 3, and hold them next to each other - then compare the text/fonts. The 2 is far more jagged and blocky, while the 3 is sharp and smooth, even on the smallest text. The photos will also have much better color reproduction on the 3, and sharper outlines.

I had a 2 for a few days until I compared it to a 3, and that was it - I called my nearest store, asked if they had 3s in stock, and ran over to pick one up.

poohdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just signed up for this app, trying to learn how to ask a general question about transferring files from my dell pc to my ipad. Could someone help. Thanks.

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the iPad one and I'd say it's well worth the upgrade overall. The screen is fantastic. However if I owned an iPad 2 I'd probably hold out for iPad 4

Sent from my iPad 3

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you really notice the difference in reading text, it will be much crisper and the edges are more defined. When looking at pictures or watching a movie I'm sure you'll notice a little improvement in sharpness as well. Like another member posted if you plan on putting a screen protector on it then it's definately not worth the upgrade as it will dull it a little bit. I have an iPad 2 and not upgrading, with Apple's products I tend to upgrade every other generation. Only you can really decide if the upgrade is worth it, go to the Apple store and compare them... can't go wrong with either one though.

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the original iPad and to be honest I never really saw what all the fuss was about when I went to play with an iPad 3. I couldn't tell any difference. But now I actually own an iPad 3 and use it a lot the difference is very noticeable. The screen is so so sharp. I love it.

Sent from my iPad 3

thewaffle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If there was any reason to upgrade to me it was the 4G. Seriously my friend has it and we took it on a road trip and maps and everything else loads instantly! It's faster than my wifi at home. The retina is nice but wasn't nice enough for me to actually sell my Ipad 2 for $200 less than what I paid for it 3 months ago and then buy the 3rd gen model. I'll wait.

Most reactions

Latest posts