What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worth Upgrading to Ipad Pro 2 12.7" from Older?

inopethflames

iPF Noob
Reaction score
is it worth upgrading to the newest ipad 2 pro 12.9 inch version from my current 9.7 inch ipad md514ll/a which is almost 5 years old at this point.

i use it probably 3 hours a day, or more, but just to use the internet/youtube/crunchyroll before bed and play a couple games like hay day. so i use it a lot but not for any kind of advanced use, and ive never had a single problem with my current ipad.

is it worth spending about $1050 for the new ipad + case, minus a couple hundred for reselling my current one. it seems like the only major benefit is the increased size but im trying to convince myself i should just get a new one now, since i dont think they really drop in retail price ever, and maybe the next new one wont come out for another 2 years. thanks.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
At the end of the day that's your decision to make. You seem to be aware of all the pros and cons of upgrading but if you want internet strangers to help you spend your money , I say go for it.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I bought an iPad Pro 9.7 because my iPad 3 battery was down to around 70% capacity after 4 years of heavy use (and also because I regretted not buying GPS). The new iPads are lighter, much faster, and have better screens, better cameras, and more RAM, plus will run whatever OS is current for several more years, a security advantage. I'm happy as a clam and have no regrets.

It's harder deciding whether it's worth getting one of the new models instead of last week's Pro. I really like the 9.7" form factor. YMMV.

OP
I

inopethflames

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well one of the primary things i was hoping for was to have it be lighter, but getting the 12.9 inch version is actually a tiny bit heavier, so that wont help, i just figure overall since i use it for 1-3 hours every single day, after 5 years its worth upgrading now that a new one has come out. also if its probably going to be another 1.5 or 2 years until the ipad pro 3 comes out, thats a pretty long time to wait and thatd be 7 years total for my current ipad. yes im looking for internet strangers to help convince me to get it ;)

OP
I

inopethflames

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well if im gonna pay to get a new ipad, id rather pay the 150 or 200 more whatever it is to get the 12.9 inch size. the size increase seems like the most noticeable difference at least initially, i would just keep my old one rather than doing the 10.5

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Keep in mind that going to the 12.9 inch is a bit like going back to a laptop. While it can be held by hand, it's not terribly comfortable. The 10.5 inch is going to be physically the same size and weight as the 9.7 inch devices.* For you that would be a bit more screen for the same weight, a much better screen, and some radically more powerful hardware.

I love my 12.9 inch iPad, but I don't use it like I used my 9.7 inch iPads. It sits on a desk connected to the Smart Keyboard most of the time. Since the iPad is now my primary computer, I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of portabilty for the extra screen. If I was still using my iPad for mostly reading, browsing, and general consumption I'd be looking to go back to the smaller device. I might anyway, the 10.5 inch iPad Pro is very tempting; but not this year.

This year my extra money will go for a new AppleWatch, if they release a new verion this fall. If not, I'll indulge a different hobby.

* I should have said roughly the same size and weight. It's 33 grams heavier and about 10.5mm x 4.6mm larger. (for the cellular version).

Last edited:

amylyn1970

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had my 12.9" for almost 2 years and I love the size. I came from and iPad mini and was worried I'd hate it since it's not as portable but I got used to it fast and don't regret getting it at all. I use it all day long and carry it everywhere. While it's heavier than what I was used to, it really never bothered me like I thought it would. I never use my laptop unless I need to burn a cd or something. My iPad has become my laptop.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a new 12.9 in the next week or two. I had the original for over a year before selling it on eBay as I had stopped using it due to using my Surface Book 24X7. Now I'm trying to convince the wife I NEED both as the SB just isn't as portable!

Most reactions