What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody Interested In Starting A Petition About Keeping The Orientation Lock Button ?

jimt29

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple intends to change the orientation lock button to a mute button.

It seems the general consensus is that the button is better served to be the orientation button on the iPad whereas on the Iphone it's fine as a mute button.

What say you iPad Forum members? Anybody wanna spearhead this and then send it to his majesty Jobs?

Maybe with enough strength in numbers he will reconsider this decision.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, there are a lot of members on this forum who's happy with it turning into a "mute" button.

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Plus, of course, with sales of around 1,000,000 a month a few signatures on a "petition" will go in the bin before it reaches Jobs.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There will still be an orientation lock in iOS 4.2, it will just be somewhere else! Instead of being a physical switch on the side of the iPad, it will be part of the multi-tasking bar along side the iPod controls at the bottom of the screen that is accessed by double-tapping the home button.

ipad46.jpg

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Personally, I'm more likely to need quick access to mute sound instead of lock orientation. I'm all for the switch being to mute the sound. I personally hate when I try to lower the volume a little that holding down too long mutes the device.

iPadster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never use the orientation button so I welcome the change to a quick mute button.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What if this was an option, so those that like the orientation lock can set it their way, and those who like it a mute button can have it their way?

Personally, I'm not sure which way I want it :)

Has anyone heard when Apple releases 4.2? I keep seeing November, but no particular day.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I def like it as a mute button better. I never use orientation lock...it goes against the whole point of the device.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I def like it as a mute button better. I never use orientation lock...it goes against the whole point of the device.

I use the orientation lock so much it has made me want one on my iPod Touch. I am just the opposite and have never once wished for a mute switch. Holding the volume down rocker for a second or two essentially mutes the device anyhow.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I use the orientation lock so much it has made me want one on my iPod Touch. I am just the opposite and have never once wished for a mute switch. Holding the volume down rocker for a second or two essentially mutes the device anyhow.

The advantage to the mute switch tho is that when you switch it off it goes back to it's original volume. And you can do it while the screen is off. It always annoys me that you have to switch the screen on to mute it.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
I dont see this as an issue, considering I dont think I have really ever used the screen-lock switch, but I have to mute all the time.

Now, turning it into a Pause button would be nicer still.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The advantage to the mute switch tho is that when you switch it off it goes back to it's original volume. And you can do it while the screen is off. It always annoys me that you have to switch the screen on to mute it.

I can see how that would be an issue. I don't have any music at all on the iPad so perhaps I haven't seen the lack of a mute as an issue. If I have the sound on I always have an earphone in. I watch a lot of streaming media on mine, but with children around I find that having the orientation lock is nice. Otherwise every time I move around to see what's going on my screen flips on me. Not a huge deal, just a little annoying.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Holding the volume down rocker for a second or two essentially mutes the device anyhow.

Which is a real pain when you are just trying to lower the volume a bit. You need to do it in increments to avoid muting...

Most reactions

Latest posts