What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another word processing question

Rbutts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know this has probably been asked hundreds of times but this is a first for me. I am a student that needs to be able to submit papers via an online class room. Almost all of my progressive want these documents in word doc format.

I have been looking at couple of Different word processors. So far the one with the best reviews is the pages app. I know that you can save in a word doc format with that program, but I am wondering if it messes up the formatting of the paper as a whole? Meaning, if I save it as a word doc do I need to make sure to open up in on a PC to check the formatting prior to submitting a paper? Or is there a better processor out there?

thanks in advance!!

Rachelle

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I like Office HD but you need to check it out to see if it will do what you want. The developers are very responsive so you might contact them first before buying the app.

Diane B

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know this has probably been asked hundreds of times but this is a first for me. I am a student that needs to be able to submit papers via an online class room. Almost all of my progressive want these documents in word doc format.

I have been looking at couple of Different word processors. So far the one with the best reviews is the pages app. I know that you can save in a word doc format with that program, but I am wondering if it messes up the formatting of the paper as a whole? Meaning, if I save it as a word doc do I need to make sure to open up in on a PC to check the formatting prior to submitting a paper? Or is there a better processor out there?

thanks in advance!!

Rachelle

Some fonts don't work in word if transferring from Pages

There is no option to use footnotes in pages, so be careful if downloading a word doc into pages.

OP
R

Rbutts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks!! I am still getting used to the auto fix from typing. LOL I just noticed it says progressive instead of professor.

Diane, i'll have to shoot the developers an email. I didnt realize that was even an option.

Gunny, thanks that was exactly what I was trying to figure out. I have to write entirely in APA format. Do you know if Times new Roman transfers without a problem?

Bren, I think that was the one that did not get great reviews. It was either that or the Office HD. These were the three I was debating between. I wish there was a way to do a sample run. I don't mind paying for a good WP app but I don't want to waste my money on a useless one. (I would rather waste it on music). :)

Thank you for your replies,

Rachelle Butts
32 gb wifi
Whatever the new software is :)

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Rbutts

From my research so far I'm going to say that somewhere between starting a paper and handing in to your prof you're going to have to involve a regular computer running Office or an equivalent (a real equivalent).

Once you accept that you can relax and use the iPad during all the other sections of the process.

Good luck.

Jnclem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I've been using docs to go for a few years, first on a treo, then iPhone, now iPad. I think it's a fabulous program. Easy to use, quick transfers between ios device and computer, formatting seems perfect. I'm surprised it would be getting bad reviews, I'll have to go check that out.

Jnclem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, and I use Pages a lot too. I really like the iOS version and find it easy to use the formatting tools. But, if you need a straight up MS Word tool, Docs To Go is great.

OP
R

Rbutts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, this is where I am at. I see a lot of problems with updates across both docs to go and word hd. People seem to like these things until an update comes along. This is what I see especially with docs to go. I like the idea of the different ways to save the projects and being able to access it from anywhere.

It's like chowdown said at some point in the process I will be using a PC but the rest of the project can be done on my oh so awesome iPad. :)

jnclem, have you had any problems with the update? Right now I think it is a toss up between docs to go and pages.

Thanks for all the awesome feedback. Of all the things to fret over i'm worrying over this. I just cannot get over how easy it is to type on this thing. I had not anticipated that I would be entertaining the idea of doing my papers on this thing but now it is more than just a "toy".

Thanks again,

Rachelle Butts
32 gb wifi
Whatever the new OS is :)

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven 't used my ipad for word processing just for playing and surfing but I use docs to go on my android and blackberry because it doesn't muck up any of the docs in my dropbox so I can edit on the fly when I need to add info.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Documents To Go supports two way Google Docs, Box.net, and DropBox transfers.

Probably worth checking...

snoApple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Word Compatibility

I recommend you read this article, comparing iPad apps and their ability to open/edit/save documents in DOC format: Word Processors on iPad for Lawyers: Word Compatibility Shootout (Part II – Pleadings) | Tablet Legal

If you are in a hurry, here is the conclusion:
Verdict. As before, the ultimate output from Documents to Go Premium and QuickOffice Connect Mobile Suite are best. Both of these apps preserved line numbering, the caption box, case citation form and the footnote. Sadly, the output from Office 2 HD and Pages isn’t even a close second. Interestingly, the app that provided the best WYSIWYG experience on the iPad was Pages by handling the line numbering successfully.
I have all of these apps on my iPad for testing purposes, but QuickOffice Connect Mobile Suite (iTunes link) is the one that I use when I need Word compatible functionality. Even though the final output is on par with Documents to Go Premium (iTunes Link), I find the file management capabilities of QuickOffice to be superior (or at least easier for my brain to understand). That said, I am still muddling around in these apps a bit. I do most of my iPad writing in SimpleNote, so I haven’t had the experience with the full featured word processing apps on the iPad to learn all their respective quirks yet.

OP
R

Rbutts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Snowplow, I read that article and in reading the reviews prior to the update I was set on going with that one (the article was out before all the updates) but there are pretty bad reviews since the update.

That being said I am getting the feeling that people gripe after an update because things change and people get angry with change. I am trying to figure out if there is actually something wrong with the apps or is it just the change that is pissing people off (across the board there are a lot of complaints after an update, I wouldn't notice the change as I have never had it before)

Thanks,
Rachelle

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd like to see a current comparison since that article is from June and so much has happened since then. All the app developers have been busy upgrading their apps repeatedly so what was written then may not be relevant in December. I hsve only Pages and Office HD but use only Office. It has been upgraded quite a few times and there is another coming so I don't know how it would rate now. I do know I much prefer it to Pages for use, esp. with the integration of Dropbox and folders. I've considered the other two mentioned but for now Office does all I need.

Diane B

Most reactions

Latest posts