What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I the only one not THRILLED with the new cover? (Case)

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just an FYI to those affected. My first smart cover was defective. Only one magnet (the lower one) would hold worth anything. The top one seemed like it was in upside down and would resist where it was suppose to fasten.

I took it into the Apple store today and asked one of the employees "Hey can you try my smart cover on your iPad?" Verified it was broken and got a quick swap for a new one. No problems with this one, supper tight hold.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, you're not. I decided it was too inconvenient to pay 40 for a front cover with no back protection. Pre pre ordered a grovemade case.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ppl say the $40 is a rip off. and it really is. but then again, i cant make an ipad 2 case with friggin magnets....

I suppose the point (which makes it a ripoff) is that Apple are probably having them manufactured in third-world sweatshops for a tiny fraction of their final retail price. If I had to pay, say, $80 for a handcrafted-to-order case, made in the USA, it'd be a lot more satisfying because of the value you get.

ThePhotog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've taken four different covers back to BB and the Apple Store and I keep keep coming back the leather smart cover I purchased at Wal-Mart miss priced for $39.99. Soon as I make it the West County Mall in St. Louis I'm going to have that company put the clear film on the backside of my iPad 2. Thumbs up on the Smart Cover. the Photog

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Morticia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Love the smart cover: because it's so thin...every other one I've had is just too thick and defeats the ipad2 design in my humble opinion.

I've tested a bunch of covers for the ipad1/2 because of my business and have yet to find anything that works as well as the smart cover.

BUT you will still need something to clean the screen!

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ppl say the $40 is a rip off. and it really is. but then again, i cant make an ipad 2 case with friggin magnets....

I suppose the point (which makes it a ripoff) is that Apple are probably having them manufactured in third-world sweatshops for a tiny fraction of their final retail price. If I had to pay, say, $80 for a handcrafted-to-order case, made in the USA, it'd be a lot more satisfying because of the value you get.

But you're OK with the iPad itself being made in Chinese sweatshops??

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tarkio said:
But you're OK with the iPad itself being made in Chinese sweatshops??

So you want to pontificate? Just about EVERYTHING you buy that comes from that side of the world is produced by questionable labor practices. How about the diamond rings you got your wife? People are literally shot for underperforming in African diamond mines. You know that really cool pair of pants you got for your kid? Some kid her age or even younger put it together by hand at what amounts to a few cents an hour...for weeks on end without a break. The list goes on. As long as big corporations in the U.S. send production (and thus jobs) overseas to maximize their profits, and as long as nations continue to deregulate labor in the name of their local corporate greed to attract big business from the U.S., this is always going to happen. Everybody wants stuff at lower prices because the economy sucks. And you know why the economy sucks? Because Americans' wages have stayed the same or literally gone down while the cost of living has gone up (on top of the vanishing jobs), reducing our domestic product buying power. Why? Because good American wages and benefits cut into corporate profits. It's a vicious cycle and it really began in earnest during the early 80s when folks said it was cool to be self-centered. Apparently, some folks aren't happen with just a few hundred million dollars in their pockets. I guess that's just not enough for their family to survive on. They need more. Lots more. Forget that a measly $2000 could actually change some family's life lower down on the food chain. Everything that adversely affects our economy and human life comes down to one thing: GREED.

It has been said that the root of all evil is money. That is incorrect. It's the LOVE of money that is the root of all evil. Money is simply a bartering tool, largely symbolic. Why do people love gobs of money? For some, it's empty, senseless vanity. For others, it's a means to buy POWER. These attitudes foster the greed.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd didn't see it as pontificating, but rather pointing out the absurdity of knocking the Smart Cover for being made in a sweat shop when the iPad itself is made in the same types of factories.

Which is a good point. Just say the Smart Cover is overpriced like most everything Apple makes and leave it at that.

Macmutt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was watching a guy on the Apple website using the IPAD 2 with a smartcover in an IBOOK video and he folded the cover over and it completely covered the back of the IPAD 2.

So if it covers the back while you use it and cleans prints and smudges on the glass when your not using it, i'm happy.

Won't know until i receive mine but thats what it looked like in the video.

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It does cover the back if you fold it over. But it doesn't attach so it will flop around. You can fold it in half on itself and get it to stick together and that makes it easier to hold and keeps it from blocking the back camera as well.

It doesn't clean the screen at all. You'll still want a microfiber cloth to wipe the screen down with.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mtnmedic said:
So you want to pontificate? Just about EVERYTHING you buy that comes from that side of the world is produced by questionable labor practices. How about the diamond rings you got your wife? People are literally shot for underperforming in African diamond mines. You know that really cool pair of pants you got for your kid? Some kid her age or even younger put it together by hand at what amounts to a few cents an hour...for weeks on end without a break. The list goes on. As long as big corporations in the U.S. send production (and thus jobs) overseas to maximize their profits, and as long as nations continue to deregulate labor in the name of their local corporate greed to attract big business from the U.S., this is always going to happen. Everybody wants stuff at lower prices because the economy sucks. And you know why the economy sucks? Because Americans' wages have stayed the same or literally gone down while the cost of living has gone up (on top of the vanishing jobs), reducing our domestic product buying power. Why? Because good American wages and benefits cut into corporate profits. It's a vicious cycle and it really began in earnest during the early 80s when folks said it was cool to be self-centered. Apparently, some folks aren't happen with just a few hundred million dollars in their pockets. I guess that's just not enough for their family to survive on. They need more. Lots more. Forget that a measly $2000 could actually change some family's life lower down on the food chain. Everything that adversely affects our economy and human life comes down to one thing: GREED.

It has been said that the root of all evil is money. That is incorrect. It's the LOVE of money that is the root of all evil. Money is simply a bartering tool, largely symbolic. Why do people love gobs of money? For some, it's empty, senseless vanity. For others, it's a means to buy POWER. These attitudes foster the greed.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

I kinda agree. But I know if you think the root of evil is money you'll never get rich.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
biobunny said:
I kinda agree. But I know if you think the root of evil is money you'll never get rich.

I actually don't WANT to be rich. Who wants all the headaches that comes from being rich? I wouldn't mind a nice, one-time windfall but I'm happy to make a decent sum to live on every year, as my needs are fairly simple.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mtnmedic said:
I actually don't WANT to be rich. Who wants all the headaches that comes from being rich? I wouldn't mind a nice, one-time windfall but I'm happy to make a decent sum to live on every year, as my needs are fairly simple.

I mean that quote just makes you un value money so I meant it will make your money managing skills worse and less effective.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
biobunny said:
I mean that quote just makes you un value money so I meant it will make your money managing skills worse and less effective.

Like I said money, itself, isn't the root of all evil. Money is merely a bartering tool created to be a symbol of what something or some service is worth in exchange for the value of other goods or services. It's just a lot more convenient to carry and barter with than hauling around all your goods to trade. That's all. Hell, your money in the bank isn't even cash. It's all a series of 1s and 0s in the digital transfer system, which itself is a symbol for the very lettuce that's in your wallet. Much easier to transmit, pay and transfer than trucks hauling it all over the place very day.

It's the LOVE (or, more precisely, GREED) for money that's the root of all evil. I don't see denouncing greed as to "un value" (??) money. Now, if you don't APPRECIATE what it takes to earn and keep money in the real world, yeah, your money managing skills will suffer. But the devaluing of the American dollar is largely due to the difference between the interest rates established by the Fed and the interest rates established by other central banks around the world. Also, other banks are starting to diversify their holdings away from the American dollar and toward other currencies. Wall Street speculators tend to over-react and investors keep expecting the Fed to pump more money into the economy next month to try to stimulate growth, even though the Fed gives the major banks no-interest loans and those banks either don't loan money or they loan it at ridiculous rates (like 20% to 33%). Why? Because someone sees insane profits doing that.

Most reactions

Latest posts