What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Altering the default keyboard

elio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, been at it for a week, getting used to this funky keyboard. Two questions:
1.) Is there any way to do a Dvorak layout? (yeah, I'm that much of a nerd. Been typing more comfortably on my laptop for 7+ years now ;-) )
2.) I like Twitter. But at the moment to get to the hash (#) symbol, you hit the [.?123] button, then the [#+=] button. Kind of messes up the tweet flow. Any takers on how to hack it to get it with the letters?

WindwardMate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
elio said:
So, been at it for a week, getting used to this funky keyboard. Two questions:
1.) Is there any way to do a Dvorak layout? (yeah, I'm that much of a nerd. Been typing more comfortably on my laptop for 7+ years now ;-) )
2.) I like Twitter. But at the moment to get to the hash (#) symbol, you hit the [.?123] button, then the [#+=] button. Kind of messes up the tweet flow. Any takers on how to hack it to get it with the letters?

Hey Elio,
I am also a Dvorak user and was able to change they layout in "settings" until I get the stickers for my keycaps I'm using QWERTY, but when those stickers arrive, I'm there.

WindwardMate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Instead of having a keyboard that looks like a qwerty but can be a Dvorak I bought stickers for my Mac to cover the qwerty layout. (I don't touch type...) They have Dvorak in big black letters and qwerty in small red (in case family members who refuse to try the Dvorak layout jump on my computer).

WindwardMate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WindwardMate said:
Instead of having a keyboard that looks like a qwerty but can be a Dvorak I bought stickers for my Mac to cover the qwerty layout. (I don't touch type...) They have Dvorak in big black letters and qwerty in small red (in case family members who refuse to try the Dvorak layout jump on my computer).

whoa, wait! I joined this forum to help get connected with my wireless Zaggmate keyboard. Just realized you are probably just using the iPad alone....? I chose the Dvorak keyboard in settings but it didn't change what appears on the iPad screen keyboard. guess I didn't understand your question. duh.....

OP
E

elio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just picked up my ZaggMate today. I'm a lot better with Dvorak than qwerty though, it's a bit of a struggle with these tiny keys; anyone figured out how to do a Dvorak layout yet?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Go to Settings >> General >> Keyboard >> International >> English: You will see a choice of software and hardware settings for the keyboard. Dvorak is one of the hardware choices.

Will it work? I don't know, but you can try and tells us.

The software (touch keyboard) settings are much more limited.

OP
E

elio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! It worked perfectly on the ZaggMate!

Most reactions

Latest posts