What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

almost New iPad user

insel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone. So I'm an Nvidia Shield Tablet owner (No hissing please)

So being an Englishman living with my American wife in Chicago and knowing that most of her family are all Apple users can create some fairly heated debates on what is better. I use a windows laptop and an Android tablet and already know Apple has better hardware, but just like winding them up.

I'm almost and IPad Mini 2 owner. Mother in-law is sending me one even though I have a Shield Tablet that still works fine and looks like new. As she wants to convert me.

I'm really hoping its not the 16gb version as I have 80gb on my tablet with the SD card and 16gb just seems too small.

I'm sure I have a point to my introducing.

Which is better, Shield or IPad mini 2? I know I'll love the 4:3 ratio, but what else?

OP
insel71

insel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is the 16gb version :( how do you deal with so little memory?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You'll just have to be very selective about what you have on your iPad at any one time.

OP
insel71

insel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was looking at a wireless hard drive or Media hub. The alternative if I love the iPad is sell both the ipad and the Nvidia Shield and buy a 32gb version.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
At this point I'd seriously consider 64GB. You should be able to get at least two solid years of compatible iOS updates out of a Mini 2 at this point, and you'll likely be missing that extra space before it's over. There should be enough Apple refurbish units for sale by now that you save at least half that extra $100 back. Refurbished iPads sold directly by Apple are 'like new" and come with full warranties, btw.

To speak to your other concerns. Expect it to be different. Especially the way files are handled. While the addition of iCloud Drive has made things a bit more like a computer file system, it's still not the same. Apps own the files they create and use, and you have to go through an app to add/change/delete them.

In general, almost everything you are used to doing on Android is still doable, but you may have to get used to another way of doing it.

The main advantages of iOS over Android (in my opinion) are these:

(1) A simpler and more standard UI. Android has made great strides in the last couple of years, standardizing the UI experience. It's a lot closer to iOS quality than it used to be. Unfortunately you need a fairly new Android device, and a vanilla Google install to get the full benefit. Not an option for a lot of older Android devices. iOS on the other hand has gotten more complicated. It's still about the same on the surface, but a lot of complicated features now hide just below the surface.

(2) Updates. You may not always want them, but unlike Android the come out for pretty much every device they can run on, and will support as many new features as the device can handle. Because of this there is wide adoption, and you can expect your device to run almost all the newest apps; if not perfectly, the usably. The draw back is that the pressure to update is much higher. Something that tends to be a problem when you've got an older device and don't want to sacrifice performance for more features.

(3) The App Store is still the best source of apps both in quality and quantity. Google's made a lot of strides, and some of the features of the stores themselves leave Apple's store looking a bit dated; but apps still tend to come first for iOS and (in my opinion) iOS apps still tend to be more polished and feature rich. There are exceptions, of course. Because of Apple's more restrictive policies and developer rules there are some apps you simply wont' find in the App Store. Interestingly Google's been getting a lot more restrictive lately, as they discover the downside of being too open and easy.

(4) Support. There are probably a few Android vendors and merchants with comparable support and customer satisfaction scores, but none of them are better than Apple. Is it a perfect world and everyone goes away happy? No. Customer utopia is still a fantasy.

(5) Personal preference: I just like iOS better than Android. I have a first generation Nexus 7 running whatever version of Android it can (I'd have to check to be certain what that is). It's usable, even good, but I like my iPad better. The Nexus sits by the bed in the off chance that I might want to read a Kindle purchased book. I almost never use it, even when reading in bed. Newer hardware with a better screen and the latest Android version might change that, but probably not by much.

Final Note: Every one of these points has an up side and a downside. All tablets and operating systems are a series of compromises, and to be excellent at one thing they generally sacrifice some other desirable trait. It's all about finding the device and OS that compromises in the way that fits you best.

All I suggest is that you give the iPad a run. Don't 'expect' it to work the way you are used to, or allow yourself to get frustrated trying to beat it into doing things your way. Play and explore for a week or two, learn how things work in iOS, then decide whether the change fits you better.

. . .Bla bla, bla {more pedantic bull} etc. . .

Ok, done.

OP
insel71

insel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That was a lot to read, but worth it. My Nvidia runs very close to stock Android and gets the updates about a week after the Google Nexus line.

My Mother in-law and the rest of the in-law family all use Apple products. So I have little choice than to give this a try. If I like it and I already know I'll love the 4:3 aspect ratio I'll consider an upgrade.

I think 32gb is about as low as I'd go, 64 is about what I'm used to. The Mini 3 is out of the question as I'm not paying for the upgrade to nothing. So the mini 2 with 32 or 64gb is my next option. That or hope the Mini 4 has a SD card slot. That I think would take away so much business from the other tablet manufacturers.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I think you're going to find SD slots less, rather than more common in the future; especially portable devices. The combination of cloud storage, streaming content, and always connected devices is quickly making SD cards and other portable storage seem clunky. It's not dead yet, but it's definitely a technology in decline.

That's pretty much been Apple's view of it since the iPhone debuted, and there haven't been any convincing financial or technological reasons for them to change their minds. And it is typical of Apple to abandon outgoing technology earlier than other, more conservative companies; sometimes a shade too early.

Anyway, don't hold your breath for an iOS device with an SD card. Purple is an unhealthy complexion. :)

OP
insel71

insel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still almost an iPad owner. The Mother in-law made a boo boo and sent an IPad mini first gen. Not her fault. I think they told her it was an IPad mini 2. Plus it was locked to one user. So I'm waiting for them to update their user and device account so I can start using it. That's not even the bad news. The Mother in-law was in such a bad mood about it she ordered me an IPad mini 3 16gb version. Even though I begged her not to and then tried getting her to order an iPad mini 2 as touch ID aside and the 3rd color option its the same. The wife said we can take it unopened to the apple store and upgrade it to the 64gb version. I may try and just get the 32gb mini 2 and save some money if I can. I feel bad about my in-law doing all this for me. She's so trying to convert me to Apple. I plan on paying her back.

Last edited:

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"might want to read a Kindle purchased book" Why use the Android? The Kindle app runs fine on the iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
"might want to read a Kindle purchased book" Why use the Android? The Kindle app runs fine on the iPad.

Only because it there, by the bed, and lighter than the iPad so it's easier to hold up. And I specified Kindle, because I obviously can't use it to read something from iBooks.

Anywhere but bed I tend to use the iPad, even when reading something that I could use the Nexus for.

The iPad sits by the computer. So I'd have to get up and go get it, and then it wouldn't be fully charged and ready when I wake up the next morning.

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Makes sense. I tend to take the iPad with me almost everywhere in the house. Even sold the Kindle device I started with.

rasmith1959

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Makes sense. I tend to take the iPad with me almost everywhere in the house. Even sold the Kindle device I started with.

Since I bought this iPad, I've hardly touched my Kindle keyboard and use the Kindle app on the iPad. The only thing I don't like is that you aren't able to purchase new books with the app. Oh well, guess you can't have everything...

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since I bought this iPad, I've hardly touched my Kindle keyboard and use the Kindle app on the iPad. The only thing I don't like is that you aren't able to purchase new books with the app. Oh well, guess you can't have everything...

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
What I do is place a homescreen link to the Kindle store right next to the Kindle app. You could also place both in a folder named Kindle.

OP
insel71

insel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I should change the name of this thread to 'New iPad user. All be it a first gen, but am getting a Mini 3 on Monday. Will install kindal on Monday.

What I like so far. The iOS isn't all bloatware. Seems to take up less memory as the Android version. 16gb memory still sucks, but will upgrade the iPad mini 3 to the 64gb version on Monday. The screen is cool. Unlike Android I can use the web in landscape or portrait mode. Downloading on the Mini 1 sucks, but I hear it's faster one the mini 3. I am getting a case for the mini 3 on Monday, but almost don't want to as this feels so nice to hold.

Most reactions

Latest posts