What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Airprint without a router

andysouth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to print from an iPad directly to a HP laser jet 1102 printer? Spoke to HP and they said I must be connected via a wireless router. My understanding of Air print is that I should be able to print directly to a wireless printer. Can anyone help?

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Andy,
I am no expert but I would say that you would certainly need a router to communicate with an AirPrint printer. The AirPrint is so that you can print from Apple devices the same as you can from your PC. You definitely need a router for that. May be not the answer you wanted but that is how it is.
Mike

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Katrina778

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can help me with a similar issue.
I'm trying to get my parents' iPad2 with 3G to print via an Epson XP-400. Please know this is the ONLY technology they have...which seems to be complicating the issue, but a call to Apple previously said this should work.

The printer IS AirPrint enabled, I bought the Airport Express to create the wifi network but need to set it up without IT being the Internet source (the 3G is their connection). I downloaded the utility app, have named the network and password. Through the utility, I got the amber light on the airport to stop blinking and turn green. The printer recognized it, I typed the password in it, then hit okay. I got it to pass the first 4 tests (wireless network name -SSID- check, communication mode check, security mode check, MAC address filtering check)...but the next one (security key/password check) failed, and the last two ( IP address check and detailed IP setup check) are listed as unchecked.

Then it seems I made it worse. I was reading screens about the airport on the app, and turned off two sliders under a PPPoE tab that appeared to be talking about airport to internet connections. On my third test, it now FAILS the 4th test (MAC address filtering).

I know nothing...am only typing from the notes I took. Geek squad says I can,t take it in to them, ,I do hate to pay $100 for a service call. I,ve never even used a forum before.

Is there someone out there who can help me? I CAN take my own iPad with a mobile hotspot to help me. But on theirs I need to toggle back and forth between wifi (to connect to the airport) and 3G to connect to the internet.

Katrina778

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can help me with a similar issue.
I'm trying to get my parents' iPad2 with 3G to print via an Epson XP-400. Please know this is the ONLY technology they have...which seems to be complicating the issue, but a call to Apple previously said this should work.

The printer IS AirPrint enabled, I bought the Airport Express to create the wifi network but need to set it up without IT being the Internet source (the 3G is their connection). I downloaded the utility app, have named the network and password. Through the utility, I got the amber light on the airport to stop blinking and turn green. The printer recognized it, I typed the password in it, then hit okay. I got it to pass the first 4 tests (wireless network name -SSID- check, communication mode check, security mode check, MAC address filtering check)...but the next one (security key/password check) failed, and the last two ( IP address check and detailed IP setup check) are listed as unchecked.

Then it seems I made it worse. I was reading screens about the airport on the app, and turned off two sliders under a PPPoE tab that appeared to be talking about airport to internet connections. On my third test, it now FAILS the 4th test (MAC address filtering).

I know nothing...am only typing from the notes I took. Geek squad says I can,t take it in to them, ,I do hate to pay $100 for a service call. I,ve never even used a forum before.

Is there someone out there who can help me? I CAN take my own iPad with a mobile hotspot to help me. But on theirs I need to toggle back and forth between wifi (to connect to the airport) and 3G to connect to the internet.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On some printers, you can bypass the Airport Express by putting the printer into Ad Hoc mode, rather than have it connect to the wifi network created by the Airport Express. The problem is either way, you have to jump to wifi on the iPad to connect to the printer, thus dropping your 3G Internet connection.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do either of the devices have WPS? If so, you can just use that.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it possible to print from an iPad directly to a HP laser jet 1102 printer? Spoke to HP and they said I must be connected via a wireless router. My understanding of Air print is that I should be able to print directly to a wireless printer. Can anyone help?

Air print allows you to print to a wifi printer that is "AirPrint compatible providing you have a wifi network and a router.
The other option is to print to some printers that have Wifi DIRECT. This type of printer does not require a wifi network as it is a hot spot.
I believe brother has at least 3 and HP has even more.

http://www.hp.com/global/au/en/wireless/wireless-direct.html

This is a perfect solution for users whom do not have access to a wifi network.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Katrina778

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On some printers, you can bypass the Airport Express by putting the printer into Ad Hoc mode, rather than have it connect to the wifi network created by the Airport Express. The problem is either way, you have to jump to wifi on the iPad to connect to the printer, thus dropping your 3G Internet connection.

Thank you for responding. I do not know if it has ad hoc...the one man at Best Buy mentioned that term when I was asking them how to do things. But if I don't have it connect via the airport express, why did I have to buy it? My understanding was I had to get a router to create the "invisible wires" of a wireless wifi LAN....that this was the missing step in connecting the two.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Katrina778 said:
Thank you for responding. I do not know if it has ad hoc...the one man at Best Buy mentioned that term when I was asking them how to do things. But if I don't have it connect via the airport express, why did I have to buy it? My understanding was I had to get a router to create the "invisible wires" of a wireless wifi LAN....that this was the missing step in connecting the two.

I think the difficulty with the Airport Express set-up itself is due to the fact you do not have an Internet connection, at least for the set-up process. If you could set it up where it can connect to a router and Internet, get it working, then move it back to its final location, you may have more success.

McDog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i am dealing with a similar issue. right now, have the ipad getting internet access thru a WIFI hotspot device with an ATT $50/month for 5G of data plan. my wireless printer works, BUT... my plan is to stop the ATT 5G plan (contract expires soon), and go with the 3G or even 1.5G prepaid monthly plan direct from the ipad. if i understand it correctly, i will not have a WIFI hotspot since that comes only with the prepaid/monthly 5G plan. reading all the posts about getting a non "AIR" printer to work with an ipad gives me a headache- sounds like a lot of hoops have to be jumped thru. my QUESTION, then is... can i force my ipad (with 1.5G or 3G data/month) to be a hotspot? i'm sure i read that somewhere online- maybe it required jailbreaking, which i'm not sure i want to do. if i cant do this, what is the easiest solution to print to a wireless printer from an ipad when you do not have a wireless hotspot?? long post... how many people read this whole post??

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i am dealing with a similar issue. right now, have the ipad getting internet access thru a WIFI hotspot device with an ATT $50/month for 5G of data plan. my wireless printer works, BUT... my plan is to stop the ATT 5G plan (contract expires soon), and go with the 3G or even 1.5G prepaid monthly plan direct from the ipad. if i understand it correctly, i will not have a WIFI hotspot since that comes only with the prepaid/monthly 5G plan. reading all the posts about getting a non "AIR" printer to work with an ipad gives me a headache- sounds like a lot of hoops have to be jumped thru. my QUESTION, then is... can i force my ipad (with 1.5G or 3G data/month) to be a hotspot? i'm sure i read that somewhere online- maybe it required jailbreaking, which i'm not sure i want to do. if i cant do this, what is the easiest solution to print to a wireless printer from an ipad when you do not have a wireless hotspot?? long post... how many people read this whole post??

Your iPad does not have to be capable of generating a personal hotspot in order to connect with an AirPrint enabled printer. The easiest way to print from an iPad is by using an AirPrint enabled printer. Here are the complete Apple directions to do so. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4356

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Would the hotspot device still have the ability to create a wifi network even though it is no longer providing the additional web access? Possibly. All you need to do is provide a wifi network to connect through to print.

McDog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your iPad does not have to be capable of generating a personal hotspot in order to connect with an AirPrint enabled printer. The easiest way to print from an iPad is by using an AirPrint enabled printer. Here are the complete Apple directions to do so. AirPrint Basics

Thanks, i may need that info eventually, but am trying not to have to buy another printer cause i just bought one. that is why i am trying to figure out how to use a wireless printer with the ipad.

Most reactions

Latest posts