What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Airport Express for Printing from iPad 3

kcsullik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,
First time iPad 3 user (it's not even here yet)!

I don't have Internet service in my home, but want to set up a WiFi network so we can print from iPhones and iPad3.

It seems like (from research) that this is very doable with the Airport Express (AE) router, with a printer plugged into the USB port of the AE router?

Am I wrong? Remember, I have NO Internet service.

Thanks all, and I'm sure I'll need lots more support along the way.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whilst that should work any wifi router should set you up a local network so it needn't be an Airport Express. The key to getting an AirPrint Printer to work is that it should be on the same network.

The Archangel

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad does not support printing from the USB port on the AirPort Express. At least not directly. There are workarounds, but they all involve having another computer on the network to host the drivers and AirPrint enabling software.

For direct iPad to printer printing, you need an AirPrint compatible printer on the same network. As Gabriel says, that doesn't have to be and AirPort Express. It can be almost any wi-fi router.

AirPrint basics

OP
K

kcsullik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks

Whilst that should work any wifi router should set you up a local network so it needn't be an Airport Express. The key to getting an AirPrint Printer to work is that it should be on the same network.

The Archangel

I really appreciate the quick reply on this Archangel. It sounds pretty straightforward. Thanks for the tip!

OP
K

kcsullik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good warning

The iPad does not support printing from the USB port on the AirPort Express. At least not directly. There are workarounds, but they all involve having another computer on the network to host the drivers and AirPrint enabling software.

For direct iPad to printer printing, you need an AirPrint compatible printer on the same network. As Gabriel says, that doesn't have to be and AirPort Express. It can be almost any wi-fi router.

AirPrint basics

Thanks for the link on AirPrint basics, and for the USB hookup information. I suspect that will save me from some
headaches down the road. I appreciate your feedback!

nawafpower

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a printer connected to a PC. The printer is set to be shared, and computer is on same wifi as my ipad. What should I do to be able to print anything from ipad?
Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have a printer connected to a PC. The printer is set to be shared, and computer is on same wifi as my ipad. What should I do to be able to print anything from ipad?
Thanks

You need to install an AirPrint enabling app on the computer. This will make any printers connected to the computer available to the iPad.

Printopia - Ecamm Network Mac, (OS X) only
FingerPrint - Collobos Software Windows or Mac
How to Install AirPrint Activator for Windows? Window or Mac

AirPrint Activator is free, but basic, and the least user friendly setup.

Both Printopia and Fingerprint will let you print to folders or send the file as a PDF to an app as well as basic printing. This can be handy when you just want a quick PDF (or jpg if a picture) without printing things out. You can even target your DropBox folder on the computer for convenient printing/sharing to the cloud.

Most reactions

Latest posts