What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Airport Express

bmayberry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought it was possible to connect a printer by USB to the Airport Express, and then print from the iPad 2 to that printer. Am I wrong in my understanding of the capabilities of the Airport Express when it comes to working with the Ipad?

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bmayberry said:
I thought it was possible to connect a printer by USB to the Airport Express, and then print from the iPad 2 to that printer. Am I wrong in my understanding of the capabilities of the Airport Express when it comes to working with the Ipad?

I am almost 100% sure your right . Because at one time I was thinking of buying the Airport Express. And remember reading up on it

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
B

bmayberry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I have tried every way that I know how and can't seem to get the iPad to see the printer on the Airport Express(AE). I even checked the AE to make sure that it was showing to be on and working properly, and it is, even showing that it is connected to the printer.

Any ideas or advice on this.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad only detects AirPrint printers automatically.

The AirPort Express USB port works quite well with other Apple computers, and even Windows with some minor tweaking, but does not make itself AirPrint ready. Apple may change this in the future, but for now you are stuck with the same options as before.

Apps like Share n Print that can detect and use most wireless printers (this wont' include the Airport Express which works by other means). Must be operating in the background to work.

Apps for specific prints like Canon or HP that have limited print capability, but print directly to the wireless printers they support.

App and computer program combinations that work together to make printers connected to the computer available. Too numerous to begin sorting out.

Programs on the computer that pretend to be AirPrint printers, making printers the computer can see available and sometimes offering extra options. Works best if you have a computer you leave on all the time. Suggestions here are FingerPrint, Printopia, and for free AirPrint Activator (less features than the first two).

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4356

It's been pointed out that this list is not complete. You'll need to delve into HP's site to get a completely up to date list. I found it once upon a time but forgot to bookmark it.

Update: Ok, I decided not to be quite so lazy. Here is HP's Airprint page. Mouse over the printer pictures to get a list of supported printers. I'm not sure this is the complete list. It is probably just the complete list of the current models. http://www.hp.com/united-states/campaigns/airprint/about.html

Update 2: A better link. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN#N249

Last edited:

waltwms

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can someone help my printing issue? My HP 309c is listed as OK for Airprint and indeed works utilizing the HP ePrint app. My question is how to get other apps to recognize my printer? Such as printing an email, or Pages, etc. Any ideas? Walt

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can't find the HP 309c listed as AirPrint compatible on either Apple or HP's site? ePrint is not the same thing as AirPrint, and while almost all AirPrint printers are also ePrint, the opposite is not true.

waltwms

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oops, thanks for the correction. My real question remains - how to maintain print access across iPad apps? While I am able to have special print apps recognize my printer, the general search by other 'programs' fails to find a printer. I don't understand how to sync my printer to all these apps that offer printing ability.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have a computer that you normally leave on, the best solutions are FingerPrint for Windows or Printopia for OSX. These two programs make your computer pretend to be an AirPrint printer. Besides making your network and USB printers available the iPad, they also allow you to do things like print PDFs to a folder on the computer. If you have DropBox on the computer, this means you can print PDFs straight to a DropBox folder. (must be on your home network)

Lacking the folder option, AirPrint Activator will make your computer's printers appear like AirPrint printers. It's free.

Another option (if you need an all iPad solution) is Print n Share. This app has to be running int he background (start it before going to another app to print). It works with most Wi-Fi printers, and like the computer solutions makes them work with the native Print options in most apps.

These are the two best options, in my opinion. There are other apps, but as you've discovered making them work with various apps is a patch work operation.

Last edited:

Most reactions