What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After ipad updates, my photos are gone?

scrabble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello- I have an ipad mini (acquired in May 2013) and after doing regular software updates, many of my photos are gone. Can anyone give me easy to follow instructions on how to get them back? Thank you.

OP
S

scrabble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, can I please have the step by steps to follow with icloud? Thank you.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are you using iTunes to transfer photos from a computer ? Have you recently synched ? Try synching and iTunes should copy them again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
S

scrabble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just plugged my ipad into my desktop and synced with iTunes. My many older photos are still missing and gone!

OP
S

scrabble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After I synced ipad with my desktop, and installed device driver ipad software, my desktop crashed - and it has never done this before!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Usually, you can see your photos when you login to www.icloud.com.
If you can't see your images on the iPad, they'll be gone from iCloud online as well, afaik.

OP
S

scrabble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I am not too good with tech matters, but can you please explain reason that they vanished, did I do something wrong?? All I have been doing is staying current with software updates. The photos are gone from both my desktop and iPad....... Will my photos continue to vanish? Can I do anything to prevent this from happening? Thank you.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No idea what exactly happened. Since they disappeared from your computer and the iPad, I suppose you use iCloud PhotoStream to sync your images.

PhotoStream just syncs images, it's not designed to store them. Your pictures will appear there for 30 days, after which they'll disappear, in most cases. There's also a limit to the number of pictures that can be synced through PhotoStream: up to 1000 is possible. If the number of images exceeds this limit, PhotoStream will start removing older images.

The 30 days allow to save the images somewhere else. If you want to store them on your computer, you'll have to save them from iCloud to the PC.

Here's something you can try: if the pictures you lost were included in a recent backup, and if you don't use iCloud Photo Library, you can use this backup to get back the lost images.

OP
S

scrabble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No idea what exactly happened. Since they disappeared from your computer and the iPad, I suppose you use iCloud PhotoStream to sync your images.

PhotoStream just syncs images, it's not designed to store them. Your pictures will appear there for 30 days, after which they'll disappear, in most cases. There's also a limit to the number of pictures that can be synced through PhotoStream: up to 1000 is possible. If the number of images exceeds this limit, PhotoStream will start removing older images.

The 30 days allow to save the images somewhere else. If you want to store them on your computer, you'll have to save them from iCloud to the PC.

Here's something you can try: if the pictures you lost were included in a recent backup, and if you don't use iCloud Photo Library, you can use this backup to get back the lost images.
I appreciate your reply and trying to help but I do not quite understand. I did not have anywhere near 1000 photos. I am a senior who is not very good with tech matters, and I am wondering if I should now make a copy of my remaining photos to a USB Flash Drive so I do not lose them. And your last sentence...........I am puzzled use what backup? Thanks for trying to help, but any step by step assistance would be appreciated.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You should export your photos somewhere else, don't rely on PhotoStream as storage. Save them to an USB drive, if you prefer, or store them in online storage such as Box, Dropbox, ...

A backup will save the information stored on your iPad. If you have to erase your device, or if something gets lost, it's possible to restore from a backup, and your device will show the same apps, settings, homescreen and lockscreen, contacts, ... as before.

It's possible to backup to iCloud, or to iTunes on your computer.
Here's more information about backup methods:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203977

Hope that helps.

Most reactions

Latest posts