What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deleting photos

murphy608

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why can't I delete photos on my iPad ?
I have gone onto my albums and cannot work out how I delete photos and I cannot back up iCloud or update apps

Help !!

Docvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go to Camera Roll, click on the photo you want to delete, it will fill the display, and then click on the trash can icon in the upper right corner. Keep in mind that if you delete a photo from any of your albums, it is deleted from your iPad. This is because your albums are just organizational lists-the photo only really exists in the Camera Roll (unless you copied it to some external storage like DropBox.

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Docvan said:
Go to Camera Roll, click on the photo you want to delete, it will fill the display, and then click on the trash can icon in the upper right corner. Keep in mind that if you delete a photo from any of your albums, it is deleted from your iPad. This is because your albums are just organizational lists-the photo only really exists in the Camera Roll (unless you copied it to some external storage like DropBox.

Apologies but I If you delete a photo from an "album" you created the photo you delete from it is only a shortcut, deleting the shortcut from the album does not delete the photo from the iPad.

It actually shows a message when deleting that the photo will still exist in your main camera roll.

So if you want to remove a photo completely from your iPad delete from the main Photos section. If you just want to remove shortcut photos remove from the album :)

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

Attachments

• image-2808520866.jpg
    image-2808520866.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 263

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
murphy608 said:
Why can't I delete photos on my iPad ?
I have gone onto my albums and cannot work out how I delete photos and I cannot back up iCloud or update apps

Help !!

If you had the album synced via iTunes (photo-album from PC to iPad) you cannot delete i (neither album, nor photo). You will have to re-sync with itunes and remove the photos there.

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠

tech guy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apologies but I If you delete a photo from an "album" you created the photo you delete from it is only a shortcut, deleting the shortcut from the album does not delete the photo from the iPad.

It actually shows a message when deleting that the photo will still exist in your main camera roll.

So if you want to remove a photo completely from your iPad delete from the main Photos section. If you just want to remove shortcut photos remove from the album :)

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

thats right. i agree with it... nice reply...

Last edited:
OP
murphy608

murphy608

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right, so i need to delete within iTunes ??
Is this why everything is repeating itself, I have approx 3000 photos when in actual fact I only have about 1500 and they keep copying all the time I have 3 copies of everything ! Sigh...
Will get back to you with the result

Iceman541

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well,

I had hoped IOS 6 would provide a solution to this photo deletion problem. No joy. I presume that unless I uncheck synch for photos, every time I synch with the computer this problem will continue. Am I correct in assuming that the only way to clear my Ipad3 of photos would be to wipe it and do a new synch with synch with photos turned off? I do a fair amount of photography, both personal and work related. I upload from camera to computer and work on them from that location. There are photos that I have there that I would like to bring to my iPad but certainly not all of them. Not to mention that it would appear that raw files are a problem. When the retina display arrived I had concluded that the time for a tablet had finally arrived. To find that simple photo management cannot be done is a deal breaker. If I had known, I would have waited. While I was aware that Steve Jobs and Adobe did not play well together, thus no flash, I never expected this problem.
Sure hope a fix is coming.

Most reactions