What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Activation Apple ID

docfrye

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 30 iPad 2's which are used by middle school students. Of those 30, 1 has gotten linked to an unknown Apple ID (Activation screen). Does anyone know how I might determine what the ID is that it is linked to? An industrious student placed this unit into DFU mode and now it will not activate/restore without the ID it is linked to.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have 30 iPad 2's which are used by middle school students. Of those 30, 1 has gotten linked to an unknown Apple ID (Activation screen). Does anyone know how I might determine what the ID is that it is linked to? An industrious student placed this unit into DFU mode and now it will not activate/restore without the ID it is linked to.
I'm afraid that unless you can discover the Apple ID and password that were placed on the iPad, there is no way to restore the iPad. This is part of the security measures introduced with iOS 7, designed to prevent unauthorized activation.

OP
D

docfrye

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of! I have roughly 650 students who have access to these few iPads and evidently 1 student who is bright enough to have figured out a way around the iOS 7 security to have changed the activation ID from the original.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Who is the name on the PO? Might be able to get a trade from Apple as they are supposed to be educational institution friendly. Can't hurt to try

ninety5eclipz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of! I have roughly 650 students who have access to these few iPads and evidently 1 student who is bright enough to have figured out a way around the iOS 7 security to have changed the activation ID from the original.

I would say somehow he was given or figured out the password. I don't think he "got around" the ios 7 security. If he knows how to get around it he could probably drop out of school and start his own business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No way your student "got around" the iOS 7 security. He either guessed or found the password. This security is very, very solid. Take your iPad to Apple , but don't be too surprised if they tell you they can't help.

Most reactions