What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad says Searching... Unable to activate iPad/Bricked.

D. Fernandes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

Did a hard reset on my iPad, now while trying to activate it, it says ''“Your iPad could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable.” Also iTunes displays the same message while trying to activate it through iTunes.

Did a hard reset as the signal kept showing Searching... and the iPad kept restarting. Now i'm stuck in Activation Loop from past 1 month. iPad is bricked. Tried DFU mode and updated to latest ios8.1, tried manually pushing an ipsw through Shift+Restore for ios6, but still it reaches the activation screen which i cant get past through. Apple doesn't touch iPads with a hardware issue, and only solution is to replace for half the price of a new iPad(mine is out of warranty). Any solutions? I just need to activate it manually. The BLOCK:mad: is only the activation.

I don't understand:eek: after taking immaculate care of this iPad(Never fallen down/ no spillage of any liquids:rolleyes:), how come it still conks and the only solution Apple can give me is replace it for half the price of a new iPad!!!

Also i noticed, on the Welcome screen of activation, the little blue info button to the right bottom....DOES NOTHING:(

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Make sure you've tried activating it on a different wi-fi network. It's possible (though unlikely) that Apple's activation server is being blocked. That is especially true if you are running a firewall on your router.

OP
D

D. Fernandes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh yeah, have tried on different WiFi in different countries! And also with different networks with different Sim cards. No luck. My guess is the IMEI number is corrupt.... Experts any ideas?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So you already removed the SIM card and inserted it again.

This error also can occur when you try to use a different SIM card on a locked (to a carrier) iPad. In that case, you'll need to talk to the carrier to unlock your device.

OP
D

D. Fernandes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad i bought wasnt locked to any SIM card carrier actually! Yes, tried different SIMS as well. but still says Searching.... Thanks for all your replies....any more assistance appreciated.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried activating the iPad without the SIM card in the holder? You might also want to consider the possibility that the SIM card reader in the iPad may be defective.

OP
D

D. Fernandes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried activating the iPad without the SIM card in the holder? You might also want to consider the possibility that the SIM card reader in the iPad may be defective.

Yes, tried that too...still says Searching... is there any other way to activate this Machine?! or am i Permanently bricked....

What i havnt tried is activating it without the SIM card tray....is that possible?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if it's possible to activate the iPad without the SIM card holder in place. You could try and see what happens.

iOS 8.1.2 is the latest iOS version, have you tried downloading that version and restoring to it? Your previous post said you tried it with iOS 8.1.

OP
D

D. Fernandes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know if it's possible to activate the iPad without the SIM card holder in place. You could try and see what happens.

iOS 8.1.2 is the latest iOS version, have you tried downloading that version and restoring to it? Your previous post said you tried it with iOS 8.1.
hmmm..havent updated to 8.1.2.....will try that and check...Fingers/toes crossed this works....i even tried zeroing the battery to let the logic boards reset and finally show me some network in my signal bar, but no luck!

Although I am having a doubt that the same would happen, that it would get updated to 8.1.2 through DFU mode, but would still reach the activation screen and FAIL. The only solution to this would be to somehow put the iPad in flight mode, so that the signal bar should say- iPad

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can no zero the battery. Or more to the point, don't do it even if you figure out how. The iPad shuts down before the battery is zero, regardless of what the percentage indicator says. It does this to prevent battery damage. Every cell in a lithium ion battery is a tad different, which means they would reach zero at slightly different times. This can cause the remaining current in some cells to reverse charge other cells, and damage them.

So, there is no such thing as zeroing an iPad's logic board by powering down. Not without taking the iPad apart, or risking battery damage. Which is why you're told never to store the iPad without a charge on it. And why it comes with a partial charge out of the box.

OP
D

D. Fernandes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can no zero the battery. Or more to the point, don't do it even if you figure out how. The iPad shuts down before the battery is zero, regardless of what the percentage indicator says. It does this to prevent battery damage. Every cell in a lithium ion battery is a tad different, which means they would reach zero at slightly different times. This can cause the remaining current in some cells to reverse charge other cells, and damage them.

So, there is no such thing as zeroing an iPad's logic board by powering down. Not without taking the iPad apart, or risking battery damage. Which is why you're told never to store the iPad without a charge on it. And why it comes with a partial charge out of the box.

Thank you for your expertise on this matter...I read that draining your battery may help. That's cleared now.

Tried without the Sim card tray, same issue still says searching..

Will try updating through iTunes tomorrow to 8.1.2.

Is there any software like tiny umbrella that can restore firmware or do something that makes the iPad usable.

Attachments

• DSC_0487.jpg
    DSC_0487.jpg
    539.7 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:
OP
D

D. Fernandes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Attaching my update log.... Can anyone tell me what it says and where the issue is?

Attachments

• ipad.txt
    5.7 KB · Views: 464

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The last few lines seem to indicate that there is a server somewhere that it can't reach.

If you have a firewall or virus protection software installed on your computer or network, try disabling it long enough to give the process another test. Or you can try a different wi-fi network.

OP
D

D. Fernandes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The last few lines seem to indicate that there is a server somewhere that it can't reach.

If you have a firewall or virus protection software installed on your computer or network, try disabling it long enough to give the process another test. Or you can try a different wi-fi network.

Hmmm....nope tried that with 4 different Wifi networks on different connections...Didn work.

Most reactions