What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ABSINTHE jailbreak stuck after tapping Absinthe icon on iPad, VPN configuration error

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks to f4780y for excellent tutorials, etc, and the 5.0.1 JB team for developing this hard won jailbreak...

Hoping someone can help me with a problem completing the final step... I can get through the Absinthe JB process as far as tapping the Absinthe homescreen icon and seeing the greenpoison screen displayed. Then it just sits there... forever. I checked the VPN, and it was set to OFF. So I turned it ON. I get an iPad popup error message displayed saying “VPN Connection A configuration error occurred.†When I OK the message, the popup goes away but the VPN remains off. I’ve tried rebooting the iPad, turning on Airplane Mode and manually switching on wifi. But to no avail. I think I must be missing something simple… but I cant spot it or find help amongst the forum or other general googling.

I’m getting very close to resetting the iPad back to factory 5.0.1, JBing it and then resetting up all my apps, etc again, but I’d prefer not to if I can help it.

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.

okkim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I had same problem with iPad2 3G.
At first I got stuck at the beginning of Windows version of Absinthe. Did unplug the device and tried again, same thing with the warning that jb has been tried already.

Well, can't remember at the moment where I found my answer (most likely from this forum), but after clearing / resetting all data and settings from the settings app and running Absinthe again, it started the process instantly and took only few minutes. Only downside was that all my pdf's and music were gone, but it wasn't too bad to restore them from iTunes.

Hope this helps even a bit in your case!

OP
J

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks okkim... I got past this step and right through to the Absinthe icon appearing on my ipad home screen... I tapped the Absinthe icon which started the Absinthe app on the ipad and displayed the full-screen greenpoison screen... which then stays there forever, i.e. doesn't complete the final stage and leave Cydia in it's place. I suspect the problem is related to the VPN session not being established, but I've been unable to find the resolution of that problem.

So I'm now really stuck and dont know what to do next.

okkim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oops sorry, misread the steps you already took. I found out also that I needed to keep my iPad connected to computer through all process, also when the icon was shown on the screen and never took it off between restarts and voilá, Cydia appeared. Hope I could be more helpful, but that's all I had to struggle with (this and what I wrote earlier regarding reset).

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My initial jailbreak of the iPad 2 went without a hitch. Then, when I jailbroke my girlfriend's 4S on her computer, Absinthe would either lock up during the Greenpois0n screen on the iPhone or it would lock up about 15% into the jailbreak process.

I didn't want to reset all settings since it's tuned for work and stuff (and getting it back onto the company's WiFi is a PITA).

Then it hit me: she's on Windows 7 and I'm on Vista. Granted, I didn't right-click > properties and run my jailbreak in compatibility mode, but I did it for her -- and it worked. If I recall, I used Windows XP SP3 in compatibility mode. If you haven't tried that, give it a shot. It goes without saying that you should be running it in admin mode.

OP
J

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for your help... I gave up in the end and did a full restore back to fresh 5.0.1 with no apps/data, and then reran the JB process... completed successfully in just five minutes. Moral: if in doubt restore to factory, then do it!

JaiBob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to f4780y for excellent tutorials, etc, and the 5.0.1 JB team for developing this hard won jailbreak...

Hoping someone can help me with a problem completing the final step... I can get through the Absinthe JB process as far as tapping the Absinthe homescreen icon and seeing the greenpoison screen displayed. Then it just sits there... forever. I checked the VPN, and it was set to OFF. So I turned it ON. I get an iPad popup error message displayed saying “VPN Connection A configuration error occurred.” When I OK the message, the popup goes away but the VPN remains off. I’ve tried rebooting the iPad, turning on Airplane Mode and manually switching on wifi. But to no avail. I think I must be missing something simple… but I cant spot it or find help amongst the forum or other general googling.

I’m getting very close to resetting the iPad back to factory 5.0.1, JBing it and then resetting up all my apps, etc again, but I’d prefer not to if I can help it.

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.

I am not sure you solve this or not but i just want to share my experience.
I have one Iphone 4s and 3 Ipad 2 GSM 64GB. At first i use ABSINTHE with my Power Mac 10.6.8, Itune 10.5.3. I back up everything but i cant jailbreak. when i tap Absinthe home screen it stuck there forever. i restore it all again but the itune message come up " your device is not elegible...blalh alalal " i almost tired and want to give up. you know what a idea come up I install Mac Lion, and copy iPad2,2_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw to that new machine. yes it work like a charm.

reggiehenry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I successfully setup ipad vpn access using the method for access, everything works great. My problem is that once the user is connected, they can no longer access any internet sites outside, the iPad responds something to the effect of "You are not connected to the internet". Is there a way to setup split tunneling? The iPad seems to have very few options for configurations.

OP
J

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score

JnW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Failed!!!

i tried to jailbreak ipad2 3g 16gb, but it failed.
this ipad2 is with latest ios 5.0.1 (9A405) and i already Erase all content and setting
when i click in absinthe icon, it show me “wait for absinthe to complete†then down there have a green bar with jailbreak font.
tried to click the green bar but doesnt work
then i tried keep on turn on VPN, it showed me “a configuration error occured

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
JnW said:
i tried to jailbreak ipad2 3g 16gb, but it failed.
this ipad2 is with latest ios 5.0.1 (9A405) and i already Erase all content and setting
when i click in absinthe icon, it show me “wait for absinthe to complete” then down there have a green bar with jailbreak font.
tried to click the green bar but doesnt work
then i tried keep on turn on VPN, it showed me “a configuration error occured

Sounds like you disconnected the iPad during this part. You must keep it connected and the Absinthe tool running until you see the Cydia icon on your desktop. I suggest you try again from the start.

fstbusa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of my co-workers had this happen. Had to run it 3 times before it worked.

Most reactions