What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Absinthe failing with "The URL cannot be shown' when running the app

damorpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

Newbie here, as I've been spending an hour trying to run Absinthe on my iPad2, but it's just failing to perform the crash at the end after running the app.

I'm running the desktop app on a Windows XP SP3 laptop, and connected my iPad2. It seemed to run fine - originally taking around 15 mins for the first step with my fully-loaded iPad. The iPad went through the restoring phase, the desktop app completed, and it asked me to unlock the iPad and run the Absinthe app, which I did.

This is where things went wrong; instead of getting a white screen, or a Database error, I got the "Wait for absinthe to complete..." page.
After around 30 seconds, it says "Didn't work? Try this: 1. Tap 'Jailbreak' to open the Settings Application and turn on the VPN named 'Jailbreak'.
I tap the big green glowing "Jailbreak" button below it, and it gives an error popup:
"Cannot Open Absinthe. Absinthe could not be opened. The error was "The URL can't be shown".
It offers "Close" and "Retry". Retry repeats the error over and over again, and Close closes the app.

OK. So I close the app, and go to the Settings myself. I already have a VPN connection for something else, and sure enough, "jailbreak" is a new connection there. The only open in it is "Connect on demand" (which is enabled). I select it, turn on VPN, and it asks for a password - it greys out the 'Done' button unless I type something. I don't know, so I type anything... it ticks, and then reports "VPN Connection: Authentication failed". Fair enough.

So - it seems that there are problems in the Absinthe iPad App triggering the crash itself, a problem in launching the Settings app from the fallback method, and that turning VPN on manually doesn't do anything. It smells it's failing to plant the necessary code/bug/whatever when launching the app.

I've tried many things to try to work around this, including:
  • Clicking the 'Jailbreak' button in the Desktop app to try to continue the jailbreak
  • Unplugging/plugging, and then clicking the Desktop app 'jailbreak' to try again
  • Wipe/Resetting the iPad to initial settings using iTunes Restore - twice.
    [ When I do this, since it loses my other VPN config, it shows no VPN options at all - tapping the VPN menu option shows nothing. Turning it on gives the "Connection failed" error that's supposed to be expected just before it crashes and reboots... but it never crashes ]
  • Wipe/Resetting the iPad using the onboard Reset All Settings option
  • Trying the whole process up to running the iPhone app with Airplane mode turned on (suggested somewhere)
  • Resetting the iPad by holding Sleep/Home, after the initial failure, and then trying to run the iPad app again
I've also tried googling for the error; it seems a few others have experienced it, and none have found a fix (aside from the Airplane workaround, which didn't work for me).

Has anyone else found a way around this?

Cheers!

D

Last edited:

caithlene

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Solution to The URL cannot be shown

Hi, I had this same problem, for me, and I found the solution.

My Ipad was originally an ios 4.3.5 version, so I had to update it to ios 5.0.1 first before jailbreaking.

The problem was when I updated the ios, I did a manual update (pressing shift while clicking on update in Itunes 10.5.3). After jailbreaking, I had the absinthe problem where it said URL cannot be shown.

Solution: I opened Itunes, did a manual RESTORE (pressing shift and clicking on restore) and manually choosing the IPSW required. I set up my ipad as new, and jailbreak the device, and it worked perfectly. :p

Hope this helps!

OP
D

damorpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks caithlene,

That worked! Evidently it needed to be from the vanilla 5.0.1 firmware install, rather than incremental upgrades.

Unfortunately my iPhone 4S has the same problem, and that trick isn't working, so I'll try working on that now.

Thanks again!

D

makedesh7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi caithlene...Thanks alot...
my itunes version was only 10.1 unable to jb my ipad..upgrade ios from 4.3.3 manual shift restore ..jb fail...tried so many times.
reading your solution was superb. just upgrade the itunes, restore manully and jb worked superbly fine...thanks.

Most reactions